Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's a quiet weekend here

Somehow, we managed to end up with a fairly quiet weekend this time around. Well, I did, Quentin's trying to redo a bit of the parking area border so he has less trouble getting in and out than he does. Not that he has that much anyhow, but he thinks he needs more of a "fence" there to help guide him when he's backing out. He needs to get busy on the little fix on the kitchen ceiling, where the mice are trying to get through again. He fixed one, now he's got another to fix. One of these days, we'll be pulling down all the old ceiling and insulation, and putting up new insulation and plywood, then covering the plywood with something nice, like paneling. Hopefully, we can find some kind of paneling we can put up in strips rather than huge sheets, because huge sheets would be a major pain in the tuckus!

We did find out that he won't be getting his unemployment. Apparently, them making him take bereavement points and screwing up his points and all like they did, means that Arkansas unemployment says he wasn't meeting employer standards for attendance. *Rolls eyes.* So, he's going to try to get in where I'm at and mutilate turkey for a while till he can get back to where he was. It'll give him something to do to make some money of his own, while trying to also get the handyman thing off the ground, while not being entirely dependent on me.

But hey, we figured that no unemployment would be one of the possibilities and planned ahead how to work on it if it was what happened, and we're going forward with that - the handyman service thing (no licensed work, just stuff that you'd have on a honey-do list), and trying to get in at the plant I work at, till he can go reapply for where he was. There's other news on his old job that the unemployment people mentioned when they CALLED him the other day, which they hardly ever do around here, but I can't go into details because it may mean him also talking to a lawyer, and you know how confidentiality stuff goes around.

We did get a couple pieces of the hardie-backer for the woodstove corner last weekend when I had a bit more money floating around, and he got those up the other day. They look so nice being up on the wall, and I can hardly wait to get it all done. It'll happen as it happens, and you can bet you guys are gonna see pictures as it does! Reminds me, I need to recharge my camera batteries so I can take pictures. I forgot again, lol. I'm so bad at that, probably because I don't take a lot of photos in general so I forget to take the batteries out of the camera and they get drained.

My socks are going along a bit at a time. With work and everything around here that's got to be done on a regular daily chores kind of thing, I'm not getting very far. I've managed to get the cuff and a bit of the leg done on one sock, and there's a long ways to go. Thankfully, it's late fall and almost winter, here in the Ozarks, so there's a lot more dark than daylight and I get time to sit and watch the boob tube with the hubster and knit my little heart out. We don't watch a lot of television, but we do have some shows we like. I'm currently fond of Arrow and Beauty and the Beast in new shows, I do like Once Upon A Time as a returnee, there's a few cop-type shows I like (Covert Affairs and Burn Notice), and we do love our DIY shows. It's amazing how much knitting you can get done in an hour of watching TV, with all the commercials they churn out anymore. You get half an hour of an "hour" show, and half an hour of commercials! I'd rather have more TV than commercials, like when I was growing up. We DVR a lot of stuff so we can skip the commercials that way.

And yes, from above, you probably figured out that I follow the equinoxes and solstices for the season changes. Winter to me doesn't hit till Yule, on the winter solstice, because I'm unabashedly Pagan. I honor the Earth and the seasons and the life the Earth gives us. So for me, winter won't hit for a bit yet, though to others, it's already here. The last few days we've had some late fall rains, and last night was a real downpour of a rainstorm. No real thunder or lightning, but an awful lot of rain. So with the cool temps we're having, it's making for a lot of foggy days. Today, it's so foggy we can't see the end of the drive from the bedroom window, and Quentin just informed me a few minutes ago (when he came in for a drink), that it's so foggy down the easement that he can't even see the road where it curves around and back to the right. The whole mountain is fog-shrouded, even through all the trees, and it's getting foggier by the minute. Tonight will be a crazy night, and I have to drive to work in the dark in the morning, which means I have to take it careful and allow a bit of extra time because it's likely the deer will be out in force! But the fog also is kind of nice. To me, it just wraps the world in a cozy blanket, and makes me want to curl up in bed and take a nap. All I have to do today is dishes after I fix dinner, so what the heck, I may take a short nape this afternoon. It's only 12:30 P.M., and I'm eating my lunch (grilled swiss cheese sammich and my fruit juice) while I write, so I may take a nap. It's got to be a good day for it, even the cats are out cold!

Our health is back to normal other than appetites aren't quite what they were just yet. The stomach flu is nothing to joke about, and it was awful to have to deal with. I'm grateful Quentin didn't get it nearly as bad as I did, and recovered quicker. For a scrawny guy, he's got the constitution of a mule. I'd say a horse, but I love horses and know them well, and they get sick at the first opportunity, just to mess with us, I swear. And the car, surprisingly enough, is going fairly strong on the battery yet. I've only had to have it jumped twice in the last week, so if we can keep going for another week or so longer, I'll have a good enough check that we'll be able to get at least a used battery from a local gas station/repair shop, so it will last a while anyhow, and we'll still be able to cover the bills for the week. Now, if hubby can just get in at my plant so things will be a lot easier on us! That's our big prayer right now, trust me!

But for now, I'll close with me going back to the quiet weekend that is causing so much relaxation here. Till next time, happy and healthy homesteading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey just take it easy there on the road and glad to hear you getting some much needed down time.I went to the store and forgot to pick up some yarn to do my dishcloths with,I wanted to kick my butt for forgetting lol.Would of gave me something to do this weekend while hubstead works.They have switched days on him and now he isn't working 6 days a week anymore.That's a pain with that point system,they have hubstead on that here and if it ever gets screwed up oh boy.I think it was wrong of them doing him that way and tell him I hope they get what they deserve(I hear ya).So have a nice evening there and relaxxxxx!!!!

    ReplyDelete