Sunday, March 10, 2013

Winter is over!


Finally!!! Or so it seems, for the most part. Temps over the next couple of nights may be somewhat chilly in the twenties, but apparently, we're supposed to hit the seventies or nearly so for highs by the end of the week. Those of you with chillier temps yet (or starting) may envy me. I am a lucky gal, haha.

Now on to other things. The yard is a mess, such as it is. Between all the much-needed rain I'm having last night and today, and the fact that things haven't started greening up around here just yet, you can see every bit of trash on the place that hasn't been burned or scrapped yet. This includes all the tires I've been bringing home from the tire and auto service place in Huntsville. They let you take the junk tires off the outside racks if you like for free, so they don't have to figure out how to dispose of them. Me, I figure that other than stopping to GET them, they're free garden beds once I get a weedwhacker and clear up where I want the thing, I can start laying down tire beds and dumping compost and such in them to fill them up. I may not get a garden in this year again, but I'll get a good start on setting the thing up anyhow!

I'm pretty sure I can at least get a good used weedwhacker at one of the pawn shops in Harrison, as the one has some decent ones for around US$30 or so. I will have to invest in the blade attachment rather than using the strings on it, however, because of all the overgrown blackberry bushes around here that have GOT to come down before I can get a garden in. Once everything is whacked down, I can rake it all up and burn a lot of it, and separate out the trash that can be scrapped, trash that needs burying, and ash that can get put into several of the garden beds. If it's compostable, it's going in there. I am not wasting a thing in that respect.

I did get a few small loads taken to the scrap yard when I went to work this past week, just sticking stuff in the back seat and stopping by the scrapper on the way home to sell it off. Not that any load brought a lot by itself, but I made around US$50 over the course of the week. More than enough for my gas for the week, heck, nearly enough for two weeks worth of gas!

And I got bored yesterday evening (Saturday) with the house being gloomy and all from having blankets on the living room windows for three months solid, and took those down to open things up a bit. With it getting warmer, I want to start opening windows and letting some fresh air in on good days. Today is not one of them, haha, with all the rain going on. It's awful grey out, both skies and trees, and it's going to be a bit of a bugger to get down the mountain to Harrison McDonald's to get this out. Well, now I can eventually afford internet up here again with only one human mouth to feed, and I don't eat a lot, because I'm usually too busy to worry about it (or gone to work, where I don't have that much time).

So now it's time to get off here, do a couple chores that desperately need doing, and head to MickeyD's for a couple hours of dumping email. Hugs to everybody ... I have SO much to do that I want to get done inside today while it's doing a necessary job of pouring outside, and I am having a blast doing it. Till next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment