Sunday, September 15, 2013

There is a light at the end of the tunnel

And it's getting brighter every day. With only nine weeks to go before Quentin can rehire, he found a possible job around here hauling logs. It pays decent, on a per-log basis, so that will be good for him if he can get into it. We shall see. Work for me goes on (and on and on sometimes it seems), but I'm working on getting a better-paying position, so that's a wait and see thing, too.

On the other hand, things are kicking along now that the weather's cooled off a teeny bit, by about twenty degrees! More stuff's getting cut down, burned, buried, or whatever needs doing. So you can bet that there's a lot of clearing up getting done, and we're happy about that. Any little thing that gets done is a blessing, whether we stay here and buy this place or end up eventually buying some other place nearby. It's all to the good, and the more we can clean this place up, the happier I feel about everything.

I do need to get some extra moolah together once hubby's back to work and do some stuff for myself, whether I plant in containers next year or not. One of the things I really want to do is based on the fact that I love, love, love tomatoes. They are my favorite veggie of all time. I can snack on them raw (so can hubby, for that matter, we go through them like crazy), good on sammiches, soups, stews, homemade sauces and ketchups and other condiments ... so much you can do with them. One of my favorite places to get tomato seeds is WinterSown.org and their free with SASE tomato seed offer. The link takes you to the offer page. LOTS of varieties! I need to get some SASEs together and start sending for seeds, lol. And I need to get others ordered that I wanted to order this year and couldn't because of one very small income. We scrape by, but it's tough. Hence why we need so much to get other income avenues going much better, easier once we have two incomes and can afford to get internet at home. With that, I can do so much more than I do now, including revamp my Etsy store and get it going again. Yeah, I know, I've got loads of ways to MAKE money, it's a matter of getting it all going, and it's pretty much impossible to run an online business when you are only able to get online once a week. Grrr-some. But getting so much closer to not being a problem any longer.

Other blessings - our health and the kitties health is all good. Usually, either Quentin or myself comes down with a summer cold when the weather changes so rapidly. So far, so good. No sniffles at all. Guess working in a cold environment is helping me avoid it this year. Cold, but not overwhelmingly cold, like at Butterball, where it was freezing all the time. At Tyson's, I'm actually reasonably warmish most of the time, as long as I dress for the cold in layers of shirts. How hubby actually manages to deal with the cold in sleeveless tees under his smock is beyond me, when he's there. People think I'm joking when I say he's my personal furnace, but I ain't.

Back home today, he's busy burning trash after having cleared out the fridge. I told him that since he's responsible for all the leftovers IN the fridge, HE can clean it out this time. I'm not into his science experiments that get buried in the back. Gee, I wonder why he texted me that some of that stuff was pretty rank? Hee hee hee. Being a redneck, I swear his favorite word is WHOOSH from lighting off the trash pile. He certainly does light enough stuff off to make mini infernos on a regular basis. Of course, considering how much garbage is lying around the place, it does give him plenty of fun time burning things, so I can't gripe about his "hobby" of trash burning, right?

The layette for Bobbi and Eric's baby is coming along. My idea of knitting the sleeves into the body as I went didn't work out like I wanted, so I had to tink back a bit and while the body is in one piece, I'm going to have to make the whole sleeves separate and work them in when I do the neckband, then do the seaming (have I mentioned how much I HATE seaming????) once I get all the knitting done. Then there's just the hat, booties, diaper cover and blanket. The blanket is going to be cotton, too, just not the denim colored cotton I'm using for the rest of the set. I have lots of colors of scraps laying around in good-sized balls, including a whole lot of cream. So I'm doing knitted squares in a free pattern called Baby Feet. I'll be doing the borders in cream, and the middle in different colors of cotton. Once they're done, they'll have to be seamed together (ugh) to make the whole blanket, but the border of the squares will make the border for the blanket, so there's no need to go round the thing and add a border. I think it will look cute, and the cotton I've got in colors is all different colors, not just baby colors. There's green (three shades, I think), brown, dark and light purple, yellow, and I dunno what else. But lots of colors for a very cute baby blanket. The good thing is, with this being a unisex set, if they take good care of it, once little Elizabeth Marie outgrows it, they can put it away for the next baby to come along. Though if the set gets used all to heck, that's good, too. NOTHING a crafter likes better than seeing things they've made be put to use.

My socks are coming along a bit at a time, as is the feather and fan afghan, though they're kind of back-burnered whilst I work on the layette, so the baby has it before she outgrows it. Not like we don't have a bunch of afghans around anyhow, and I have enough socks to get by, but a baby needs STUFF.

So with all that said, here's a photo of our recently emerging fall color on the place. Enjoy! The photo is taken outdoors, just outside the bedroom off the kitchen, where that old tool shed used to be.


I also have to write a note of complaint to Wally World. I opened a newly-purchased package of swiss cheese slices yesterday when I made dinner (swiss burgers, stuffing and green beans) and found THIS on the cheese in the packaging!


Yes, folks, that is a piece of plastic wrapper of some kind ON the cheese as I pulled it out of the wrapper. Hubby was all for just pulling it off and tossing it, but I reminded him that this has to do with Quality Control, and with the industry that supports us, which is food processing, right now, QA is what we are all about, and I was pretty sure Wally World wouldn't be too happy to know that one of their packages had a problem. So it's off to write them a note pretty quickly. And now, for the obligatory (gigglesnort) list of this week's free books for the Kindle. Once I get the internet at the house again, there's going to be a lot of things going on, many of which are still in planning stages. I'm so glad I made a business plan for all this stuff, so I have a day-to-day list of what I have to get done to make things work.




Okay, there's way more I'd like to add, but I have a ton of other things I have on deck for today while online, and they have GOT to get done. See you next week, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment