Sunday, October 4, 2015

Halloween remembrance and apology

Sorry that I have been not on posting here again lately. Between work at the J.O.B., work on the webstore on Bonanza, and just life in general, I have been whipped. Some depression going on as well, so it is difficult to make myself do much of anything. But ... a fond memory for y'all today, as I get over a six-day workweek, all so we can have next Friday off for them to do software updates at the plant. I will try to get better about posting again, I swear.

With Halloween only a few weeks away, I am reminded of a cute story from my childhood.

Mom always gave out apples to the trick or treaters. NEVER candy. Always a bushel of apples by the door for them. She didn't think the kids really liked them that much, until one year, she decided to make chocolate chip cookies for the kids. I had gotten "too old" in her mind to go out trick or treating, so I was home. Most of them, as usual, were pretty happy about something other than candy. One little boy, however ...

Coming down our rather longish driveway (fellow MM grads will recall the house and drive, lol, especially those of you who TP'd the house a few times and Mom just left it there to rot), a little boy about 8 or 9 or so is bringing his extremely little (4 or 5 years old) brother with him to the door. As they are walking down the drive, Mom does a loud whisper, "Quick, go get two apples from the fridge!" Without saying anything, but wondering what the hey, I did it, and gave them to Mom, who promptly gave them to the boys.

After they left, she turned to me and said, "Thank you. I heard them talking as they came to the door, and the older one has been here before. He was telling his little brother, 'You'll like THIS house! They give out APPLES!'" How can you possibly disappoint a kid like that? Answer is, you can't. So I gave up a couple of school lunch treats and two little boys got a thrill on Halloween.

Those were GREAT times, I'm tellin' ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment