Sunday, July 12, 2015

Itchy time tonight

Earlier, just as it was getting dark, I went out and finished tying up the "house tomatoes," the ones by the house I use for summer salads. Despite the rain making things difficult for them, I still have around a dozen golf-ball sized beefsteak type tomatoes from three varieties coming along. I am salivating copiously at the thought of that wonderful bite in my jowls in a few weeks when I bite into them. Heck, I can feel that bite now. I did, however, get eaten up some by chiggers and mosquitoes, though Calamine got slapped on fast.

Thankfully, the itch has died now, and I need food. Ate a bit earlier but not much. Made an open face sandwich type thing - ham, bacon, swiss on bread, just nuked the whole thing open and then folded the halves up and ate that way. I think I want sloppy joes tonight. There is some in the freezer, just need to nuke to thaw after peeling off the foil. I am a major tightwad - I save all tinfoil and dry for reuse, as long as it has not touched meat. I think I have reused this piece four or five times, haha. But it has packed meat this time so it will get wadded up and go into the small can for mixed scrap metal, and thus to the scrappers for some chump change and reuse again that way. This homesteader doesn't let much of anything go  to waste!

Scrap material? Saved for stuffing small toys for pets and kids. Yarn scraps? I save those for plant ties in the garden, and then bag up the crappy ones at the end of the year. Mark the bag "bird yarn" and the next spring, I sprinkle it outside on the trees where the birds can get it to help with their nests. (Also helps me spot songbird nests around here easier so I know where NOT to disturb while woodcutting.) Leftover food? I either make a very mixed stew with it or it goes to the compost heap or the chickens. If I can find a way to make it useful for at least one more step, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment