Sunday, June 9, 2013

Peaceful

That's about all I can say about this past week, was that it was peaceful. A bit of rain here and there throughout the week, some fog one morning on the way to work so thick that I could see the cloud sliding past the car windows, and my birthday Friday. Yep, this old gal is now the ripe age of 45. Yeeks. How the heck did I get this old already?????  I could swear the kids were still not even in school yet.

But a lot of small things got done. Surprisingly, we had a small cash windfall midweek that helped out. It paid a couple of small bills off and paid the electric bill way early, so the week it's usually due (two weeks), we'll be taking that money and finally getting the garden cart to help haul all kinds of things around the property easier. The one we're looking at has two wheels in front and the standard wheelbarrow legs in the back, but with our rough ground, it'll make getting things to the burn pit a lot easier without dumping it all over the place, especially for me.

A lot of small wood got cut to stove length, so there's now even more wood in the pile than there was, all cut by me with my little chainsaw. I tried to use the 14" gas saw of Quentin's but it has a bit too much vibration for me to handle it effectively without feeling it all the way up my arms. No thanks, I'll stick to the small stuff. Plus that way, I don't have to spend who knows  how long trying to get the thing started with the pullcord. I remember all too well growing up with a lawnmower that had one of those, and how hard the thing was to start. I'll happily skip all that.

We are getting a gas weedwhacker eventually, because there's so much small stuff growing back up where we'd cleared that needs to be kept down every couple of months, so that grass can start to grow in. I'd like to get some alfafa and broadcast out there to let it grow and smother out the trees trying to regrow. There's still so much brush to cut down and keep down, but it slowly keeps getting better.

I'm getting a lot of knitting and crochet design done and once I have time to get more and better photos of some things done, I'll be putting the models up for sale as well as selling the patterns on Ravelry. I've got handwritten notes for nearly 2400 patterns of my design that I really want to get made up properly, add photos of the thing, and put the patterns up for sale. Yeah, that's a lot of patterns, lol. I've always loved my needlework, and often tend to scribble notes that don't make a lot of sense to anybody but me for a pattern that I come up with. However, if I'm to actually make anything off selling the things, I really need to put them into more standard form. So that's a big evening project that is going to take probably a year or more to get done all the way, and even then, I'm not sure it'll be enough, because I tend to come up with more stuff on a regular basis. I've particularly got a lot of patterns for Barbie and her friends, because with a daughter who was Barbie-crazy as a little girl, I designed a LOT of stuff for the dolls. So yeah, that's a busy-making thing.

On leaving this morning, I found next to the driveway that there is suddenly a block of black-eyed Susans growing in the easement. They're so pretty, I may just clip a few and stick them in a glass of water for some color in the house. Quentin's so bored, he's rather turning it into a bit of a bachelor pad and I can't seem to get him to understand that tools all over the coffee table and around his feet by his chair are not conducive to a quality home life, because the wife is liable to get  rather upset by all the tripping over things. So some color would be nice, as Quentin's idea of "decorating" is John Deere, the General Lee and whatever he thinks to tack up for curtains (never mnd that I'd like NICE curtains on rods .... ). There's some hooks still in the ceiling that he hasn't pulled out yet, and he tends to hang just about everything off them, even when he's bumping his head on them all the time. I've pulled down extension cords and plastic grocery sacks of plumbing parts this past week, and it's a bit annoying, primarily because I'm so short that it's hard to reach this stuff to get it down.

Hopefully, this upcoming week, I can finally get some things done in the way of setting up the garden. I really, really, REALLY want to get it set up this week to some extent. I'm putting in some overtime at work the next few months to help pay a few bills off and get all the things done that need doing for the setup of the trees and garden and everything else. I don't know how much will actually get done, because we're supposed to get highs near 90F this week with a lot of mugginess, which will make it seem like it's nearly 100F. Thank goodness for the fan we set up in the living room and all the windows we can open for all the breezes we can catch. Leaving them open 24/7 also means that all the cooler air from the night gets in and helps keep the house cool almost all day.

So that's it for this week. I hope to get some shots of those flowers this week and get stuff done that requires photography, too, so you can see even more changes going on! Till next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment