Sunday, August 18, 2013

At least it stopped raining

Because now it's fall weather qute a bit early. Brrr! But good for sleeping, so comfortable and easy to get to sleep and stay there all night long. The cats are enjoying it a lot, curling up on window shelves Quentin long since installed for them and snoozing away the day. He's so ready to go back to work, he's literally counting the days until he's able to apply for rehire. I'm ready for it, too. Not that I don't love him and time with him to death, but there's times I'd like to have some time and space to myself. (I do get a bit tired of all his car shows ALL the time, lol.)

We have gotten a lot done lately, mostly him. A lot of trash got burned now that the burn ban's off due to nearly a month of rain. The ground's pretty saturated, things are wet and staying that way, so no burn bans, thus all the crap that's built up for a month can get torched. There's been a bunch of trees cut down to clear the view around the place, including a few yesterday. We had to stop a lot sooner on that than expected, because Quentin unintentionally stood on a nest of ground bees iand tore it to heck, stirring them up bad. He's allergic to bee stings (thankfully no stings from them), but it meant we had to quit until they settled down, and by then, it was getting dark. What we did get down got trimmed right off and left as full logs, rather than cutting to stove length. We'll let it season that way, so that if we do find a place and move, then it will be a lot easier to move the big logs rather than a bunch of stove length logs, though those will go with us, too. The more we've got trimmed back, the better the place looks, and the more firewood we'll have to take along for the ride if/when the time comes.

The mountain road's a complete mess. I'm surprised I can get the car through, as bad as some of the gullies the rain washed out of the road are. You literally have to roll through them slowly, unless you want to bust a tire. It's pretty rough and not a lot of fun at the bottom right now. Thankfully, there are ditches next to the road on the rest of it that make the runoff head downhill without carving craters in the road. I love our place here even though it's just a rental, but I'll be glad when we can buy a place and move. I know it seems like all I do is gripe lately, and I honestly don't try to. I think it's just I'm tired from all the overtime I have to pull to make ends meet, I'm tired of not getting things done around the place that I want to do, and I'm tired of being tired. A few more weeks (12 1/2 and counting) till Quentin can rehire, then a few more weeks after that before he is back to work and getting paychecks, and things will start to look up. I've already warned everybody that once he's getting a paycheck again, I won't do more overtime, period.

I will, however, keep writing, and keep up my needlework and doing thins around the house. Speaking of those, my knitting's gotten a whole sock finished finally, barring weaving in the ends. Date night every Saturday is now mandatory for us, as a choice to help keep our marriage more stable and give some sanity to our crazy life. And I do my best to make sure that I put things aside for a bit before I head to bed, and those little bits add up fast when you are working on something that doesn't require a lot of pattern reading. Sock heels to toes are easy to work without much thinking, so I got the heel flap done, the heel turned, the gusset worked, the foot done and the toe done, all over Saturday while doing laundry and then that night while having movie time with hubby. Warning, do not get Redline, Vehicle 19, or The Tower. They all sound good, but they're not that great. Redline was the best of the three, with John Billingsley (Doctor Phlox on Star Trek: Enterprise) being the bad guy; though the ending was not too smart, because you don't know if the people get rescued or not. Vehicle 19 started out good, quickly morphed into sheer boredom, and ended up boring, with another "what happened to end this?" ending. Cliffhangers are good for serials, books, and tv shows. NOT good for a movie, which to me means it has a definite beginning, middle and ending. The Tower was the worst. We didn't even watch a full ten minutes of it, especially after we realized it was "The Towering Inferno" in Korean, with English subtitles, set it Korea. (Or maybe it was Hong Kong, I couldn't figure that part out.) We both like TTI, but if we want to see it, we'll watch the original version in English, not some mashed-up gobbledegook version with subtitles. So movie night for movies was a total bust on the rentals. We did splurge on Super Storm for $10 from Wally World, and truthfully, we got it because we like disaster movies (in ENGLISH, please! We don't speak-a da other languages so gooder!), and it sounded good. It was well worth the $10 because the plot made sense (though I still laugh over the plot device of Jupiter's Great Red Spot disappearing entirely) of a sort, and made the night worthwhile. That, along with finishing a sock, was fun.

As for writing, sometime Monday, my first book will be available on Amazon for the Kindle. The Bountiful Farm Cookbook got published to my bookshelf there today and it looks good in the previews. I'm debating putting it up for print editions as well, but I'd have to make it run around $5 for that and I'm dithering on it. The Kindle version will only be $1.99 paid, though I did opt it in for the KDP Select program and I'll be doing a freebie promo on it in a couple of weeks, around Labor Day weekend. Mainly because I'm only online once a week, and I can't set it up for a promo until it's published. That takes about 12 hours, so it'll be midnight tonight before it's in publication officially, and next weekend before I'm online again to set it up for a promo weekend. Thus, two weeks before I give away (hopefully) LOTS of copies.

And I'm sitting here grabbing freebie books by the ton again because a - I can, and b - a friend is stopping by here at McQuack's to say hi and give me something Quentin and I have been wanting to get (and keep forgetting when we have a bit extra to order it). A can crusher for all his soda cans. We need the thing, he's getting a bit tired of stomping down all the ones he empties, plus all the ones we keep finding laying around outside. Easier to bring a five-gallon bucket of the things in from outdoors if they're laying around and run them through a crusher in a couple of minutes than to have to wait till he remembers to get outside and stomp them down.

So with that, it's time for this week's free Kindle books mess. Have fun. I'm off to get some lunch (my once a week garbage food indulgence) and read while my new books download. Hugs, all! Till next weekend!

FREE KINDLE BOOKS FOR THE WEEK




Ok, it's nearly four p.m. here and I need to hit Wally World for dinner supplies (ran out of spaghetti sauce, gotta buy a jar, though I much prefer my homemade, I'm too pooped to mess with it), and get myself home. I'll work on more books next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment