Sunday, August 25, 2013

Busy, busy, busy!

Crappy week at work, every day it seemed like something broke. Thank goodness I'm not a lead so I don't have to worry about things like that, just doing my job as best as I can. That isn't difficult, as I managed to get into a job that's fairly easy and hard to mess up. The overtime has to continue for a few more weeks, but it's coming down a day at a time. Before I know it, the week's over, and so is a few more days of overtime that I don't have to pull. Yay! In other good news, this upcoming week, one of our littler bills will finally be paid off, and I can be proud of us. Despite one paycheck and that stupid garnishment, we're still managing to get by and have the truck down to $705 left to pay off. We're blessed that the guy we're buying it from is willing to work with us and take good-faith payments every week towards the payoff, rather than getting mad about it, gracefully waiting until hubby's back to work and getting paid so we can make bigger payments on it and get it paid off.

The only problem I have now with overtime is the nimrod they hired to replace the old night lead on my regular section. The new one is a decent guy, and was a lead in a different spot. However, he has yet to learn to read the work orders before starting the shift, so he knows if he needs extra help or not. Hate to tell him, but that section ALWAYS needs extra help. However, he pulled the old, "Well, the supervisor told me I shouldn't need more than eight people, so I guess I don't need you," on Friday night. I got overtime by asking one of the supervisors, and he put me elsewhere, glad to have the help. At  my ten-minute personal break time, I chatted for a minute with the backup lead over there, and she told me she was doing the work of three people because of this moron, and wasn't too happy about it. But what choice do you have when your new "boss" is a blithering idiot, more concerned with carving things in stone than in actually getting things accomplished? Not a lot, really, but as long as I can get my overtime for a bit longer, I'll be happy.

The nights I don't stay over at work for overtime, I come home, grab a fast supper, and get my butt out with Quentin to get things done. He's doing a lot of trash-burning and brush-burning. The stuff we can't burn for whatever reason, we're piling up near the edge of the easement, so that when the power company comes through and brush hogs and such in the easement again, they'll bury it for us when the doze all the stuff they trim off to the side of the easement. Heehee. Why work harder than you have to with something like that?

Lots of small trees and scrub brush are getting cut down. That's a lot of the brush-burning right there. The scrub and all the trimmings are going up in smoke, because we don't want them sitting around and gathering critters like snakes and skunks in them. Some of the wildlife isn't bad to live around, just annoying, but when you get things that can hurt you or stink you up involved, it gets a bit crazy trying to avoid getting sprayed. We found that out when Q left the last bit of brush piled up for a mere three days. He scared a young skunk out of the pile when he started to haul it to the burn pit, and nearly got sprayed!

And I'm officially a published author, lol. The Bountiful Farm Cookbook, full of nearly forty family favorite recipes, is up and running on Amazon! I'm pretty proud of myself for this, and it's only $1.99. AND!!! Next weekend, for three days, Friday the 31st through Sunday the 2nd, it's free! So if you're looking for a good recipe from me, feel free to grab the book next weekend!

I will say that I'll be glad when things pick up and we can do a lot more financially and get a place we're buying. Renting is great, we love our place, but we want to own, and it makes it hard to do anything when we have to ask to do a darn thing in the way of fixing things. We want to get stuff done, but we have to ask, wait days for replies sometimes, and then hope the answer's favorable. It bites, and we're a bit tired of that, so if not beforehand, once hubby's back to work, we're paying off all our bills that we're snowballing out of debt on, getting a nice downpayment together and going from there to get a place we like and can own. Neither of us likes the idea of a mortgage, with the economy the way it is, but we like the idea of continuing to rent with all the pitfalls we're having handed to us lately even less.

Speaking of free books, it's time for this week's free book mess, so have fun. I have to get these posted and get my butt back home. Chicken lo mein tonight for dinner and more trees to get cut down. FUN!!!!!!

FREE KINDLE BOOK FOR THIS WEEK

Sorry they are mostly cookbooks again - it seems that's about all I can find most of the time, lol. But at least nobody's gonna go hungry!! (I should note that for personal reading anymore, I'm enjoying the teen/young adult books a lot more than adult novels. The YA books at least move the plot along, whereas the adult stuff is pretty boring!)

No comments:

Post a Comment