Sunday, June 28, 2015

No rest for homesteaders, haha!

Not that I am complaining, because I'm not. But homesteading is inherently an extremely busy lifestyle you choose, or that chooses you, and so sitting down for hours and doing pretty much nothing is not an option.

For a day of rest, this is going to be a rather busy day. There's a few chores to do yet, like putting away the nonperishable groceries (heading right out to the movies after we got all the running done and the perishables put up meant everything else waited), and the laundry to be put up, dishes to do, bed to remake, and I need to get out and tie up the tomatoes some more. They are growing rather tall and have many blossoms on them, so that is going well. The rest of the garden is either producing, blooming or slowing down in the heat (that would be the short growth period things like greens and radishes and the like). All the warm weather plants are going amazingly well, and I am enjoying the fruits of the bounty.

I have a few customers for the excess, always spoken for before I even get it to the plant to deliver and get my money on workdays. I pick one day, email my customers the list of what I have with prices and get emails back saying what they want. It sometimes takes a few emails for each customer, because let's say I have forty hot peppers ready to go, and someone wants half, and the next email they want them all. As I do first come, first served, customer #1 gets their twenty they wanted, and customer two gets the other twenty, having to wait until I have more ready to go in a day or two for the rest of what they want. Currently, I have backorders in line well before any new customers for many things that are established and producing. I wash and pack that night after I get home and have some supper, and tie labels on each bag so I know which bag goes to which person. They show up to work, give me the agreed-upon amount of money and they get their bag of goodies. I can hardly wait for things like potatoes and squash and such to set, and the fall garden of more greens and short season stuff. It isn't much money, but every little bit helps.

The webstore is doing well, though it could certainly be doing much better. I am so ready to have things pick up enough to where profits are enough to quit the plant job and just do what I enjoy doing. I would still have to go in five days a week during good weather to deliver veggies and all, but it would not be an all day thing anymore at that point!

And there is always the store to work on, and other things like my writing, so it is time to get myself in gear for the day. I am doing a bit better than yesterday, having conquered the depression by simply getting up and doing, so that is good. Hugs and love, all. Lots to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment