Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day of Rest - NOT!

Sunday may be a “day of rest” for many folks, but for us homesteaders, homesteaders-in-the-making, or even just homesteader-wanna-bes, you quickly realize that there is no such animal as the much-vaunted “day of rest” that so many nine-to-fivers seem to get. There is always, ALWAYS something to be done, that doesn't seem to get done any other day of the week. The closest thing to a full day of rest is when you're pretty well done with things, and are pretty well done in to boot, and you set your alarm for two hours down the road, collapse on the bed, and stretch out for a well-deserved and hard-earned nap. That was my day.

I didn't even get out of the house, barring carrying water jugs in from the deck and putting them away, or taking the trash out of the house and putting it on the deck. Quentin was gone for a couple of hours to take yesterday's movie rentals back to the RedBox and fill up water jugs at the RedX gas station in Alpena. Once he got home, he hauled the jugs to the deck, and took the trash and burned it. He also cleaned out the van (it was still something of a disaster, and now it's clean, I have to clear out the winter's junk accumulation from the car) and burned that. Then he took Bouncer outside for about 20 minutes for a walk. However, after that, all he did was mess around with the truck exhaust to make it louder. As if you can't hear him from half a mile away on the mountain road as it is. Then he declared he had “done enough chores today,” played on his PS2 for a couple of hours, and took a nap.

Me? While he was gone, I made the bed, cleaned the cat box and added more litter to it, picked up all the trash in the house and got it out to the deck, swept down cobwebs and swept floors, and put new bags in all the trash cans. Also cleaned off my desk in the living room which, over the winter, became a trash collector, thanks to a certain person (*coughQuentincough*). After he got back and unloaded the water jugs, and they were in and stowed away in the water cabinet, I changed out the doody bag in the sawdust toity, refilled the sawdust bucket in the bathroom, put away the laundry that was done yesterday, picked up yesterday's dirty clothes off the floor and put them in the basket, knitted a few rows on yet another afghan I'm making, straightened out my craft stuff in the front bedroom, and put some old jeans (nearly new, but they were given to me by someone who either is trying to inspire me to lose weight or thinks I'm a lot smaller than I am, lol) on the local yardsale groups. Then I made myself dinner from some of yesterday's wild game dinner leftovers, caught up email, worked on writing on two of my books, and got in a shower so I'm fresh for work tomorrow. THEN I took an hour for a nap.

I still have to do some dishes tomorrow, but I'm just too worn out tonight to get on them. Plus I have more writing I want/need to do, ideas for other books to sketch out, knitting to do, finish up shortening down my “shopping list” for my seeds to get this year and store away, and I don't know what-all else. I'd have to look at my to-do-list from the back of beyond to find out.

Some of you have told me that with the way I write, and how it's obvious that I love words, that I should write books. I'm no novelist, goodness knows, but short books on various things I do know are in the works, or at least on the list of things to write about. Thanks for all the encouragement. You created a monster. I doubt I'll ever get rich at it, or even just make a living at it, but with what I have done, I've managed to start making a few bucks a month at it, and that's always a help, since I can have it all directed to me as Amazon gift certificates, and that means I can shop essentially for free for things that are needed on the homestead. Books, tools, seeds, anything I can think of, I can almost always find on Amazon one way or another.

Which brings me to my usual point about now - freebies!!!!! I know you guys love these things, and some of you make a point of telling me so. This is what inspires me to keep on putting the daily list together for all of you - knowing that they are appreciated! Remember that they may not be free for very long, but they are free and at least three stars when I post them. Have fun collecting - I need to quit until I get some more converted to PDF in Calibre, as I have over 11,000!!!!!!!!! books on my Kindle for PC now, haha. Woops, think I got me a heck of a library of mostly cookbooks. Ooops.

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST

Container Gardening Essentials : The Secrets to Growing Amazing Container Plants, Flowers and Edibles
Classic Italian Cuisine Cookbook - 80+ Delicious Italian Dishes - Seafood, Side Dishes, Soups and Salad Recipes
80 Tasty Italian Slow Cooker Recipes: (4 Volume Collection) The Classic Italian Slow Cooker Cookbook
The Economy Driven Cookbook
21 Classic Italian Holiday Cookies & Desserts (Delicious Assortment of Traditional Italian Cookie and Dessert Recipes)
Survival Pantry: Definitive Preppers Guide to Food and Water Storage, Canning, and Preservation (Prepper Survival Pantry - Can your own Food, Store Water, and Preserve your Food)
Best Ever Fruit Cobbler & Crisp Recipes (Best Ever Recipes Series)
Natural Colors to Dye For - How to use natural dyes from plants and fungi
Paleo Slow Cooker Beef Recipes: Simple Gluten Free Crockpot Recipes. (Paleo Slow Cooker Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment