Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Spring is almost here, right?

Because it's cold again today after a lovely warm day yesterday, and it does not make me very happy. I work in the cold all day, so I don't really want to come home to cold to do outdoors work in as well. Add in that my feet got soaked at work (long story), so my shoes are waterlogged. Since I don't have my waterproof pair out of layaway yet, that means my feet are also waterlogged and ice cold, so I made dinner and climbed under covers and said the heck with it. Tonight is a goof off night for once. I will probably do some knitting as I pull books together, because sometimes the pages take a moment or three to load (I am on slow satellite - I don't mind, it's cheaper and works better than dialup on this mountain, lol). So I have warm kitties curled up at my feet, a hot meal inside me and warm afghans covering my extremely cold tootsies. Heh heh. Sometimes, even in homesteading, you just need a day to say the heck with it.

My transfer to second shift still hasn't come through, but it's only been a couple of days since I put in the paperwork. However, the 2nd shift x-ray lead wants me REALLY badly, and the supervisor, a lovely lady named Jordan, wants me, too ... so she is really pushing my current supervisor, Carlos, to let me go. He signed off on it as he had to before I could turn in the paperwork, but we have to keep on Carlos so he will keep on whoever to get me transferred. I think it will work out good in the long run - 40c an hour shift premium plus some overtime, plus not having to ride back and forth with a neighbor. I can still take my own car while Quentin takes his van, so I can run my own errands without having to take time off to do them, or can do things outside around here before going to work. Just gotta hurry up and wait.

On the van front, we have good news. Randy got it towed up to his shop from Harrison yesterday (about 20 miles worth of tow - country living means LONG hauls for tows, haha! Your friendly tow service and/or mechanic are NOT literally around the corner any more!). He got it fixed fairly quickly today, including the new thermostat. Grand total of financial damage? A bit less than expected, more than hoped, but still within budget so I think we can get it out of mechanic's hock this weekend, considering the bill is a mere US$85. It could have been so much worse, but once Randy drilled out the old bolts as much as he could, the leftovers essentially crumbled and just had to be air-blasted out or some such to clean the holes. A bit more work to get all the corrosion out, and voila ... one van, back on the road. What a relief.

Ahhh .... the lovely feel of warm kitties on my feet. The only thing is, they are putting my feet to sleep. Hope I don't have to get up any time soon, my feet will be on pins and needles! On to the bookfest!!! (And to all who keep thanking me, you're SO very welcome! It's nice to know the efforts are appreciated!)

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


50 Amazing Christmas Cookies Recipes - The Best Holiday Cookies (The Ultimate Christmas Recipes and Recipes For Christmas Collection) - Nowhere near Christmas, but I have to share this one because Pamela K's books are so full of goodies.
Best Wok Recipes from Mama Li's Kitchen: Healthy, Quick and Easy One Pot Meals for Busy Families
The Way To Healthy Garden Soil
30 Paleo Side Dish Recipes - Simple & Easy Paleo Side Dish Recipes (Paleo Recipes)
Vegetarian Grilling: Healthy Recipes for Outdoor Cooking (Healthy Natural Recipes Series)
Dressings, Toppings & Sauces (Gourmet Ninja Guides)
35 Delicious Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes For Busy Families
Kale: Naturally Healthy & Delicious Recipes From This Amazing Green Superfood
Growing Bulbs in Containers: A Season by Season Guide to Growing Bulbs in Containers (The Weekend Gardener Series)
Best Homemade Shortbread Cookies (Delicious Shortbread Cookie Recipes For All Occasions!)
Recipes in a Jar vol. 2: How to Can Vegetables
Knitting Stitches Handbook (Learn How to Knit)
Paleo Bread Recipes: 30 Delicious Gluten Free and Grain Free Paleo Bread Recipes (Paleo Bread Recipes, Paleo Bread Cookbook, Paleo Diet, Paleo Cookbook, Paleo Recipes, Quick and Easy Paleo Recipes)
Country Baking Quick Breads and Muffins (Delicious Recipes)
Coconut Milk Recipes, Paleo Coconut Oil & Flour Recipes. Low Carb Paleo, Allergy Free, Dairy Free and Gluten Free Recipes (Paleo Recipes: Paleo Recipes ... Lunch, Dinner & Desserts Recipe Book)
Live More With Less: The Gift of Minimalism: Simplify, Declutter and Get Organized
The Avocado Cookbook: Fun and Easy Recipes
Food in Jars: From Jellies to Jams and Lunches to Desserts
Natural Pet Food - Quick and Simple Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment