Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Outside fun

Today was pretty good. We got a new person in my section to learn the job, transferring from another department. I don't know her name, but she's good, and has done similar stuff before, so she's picking it up quickly. She said she put in for her departmental transfer on Valentine's Day, so we're talking five or six weeks she's waited. Another gal who recently transferred from second shift to first shift in my department said hers only took two weeks but she did it on a hardship transfer. I put mine down as hardship/transportation, so here's hoping that a new person means good news for me towards the end of the week. I'd really like to get on a diferent schedule so I can make more money, lol. (I'm not greedy, but I really would like to get completely out of debt. Regular bills don't count.)

And getting home was nice, despite a bit of a breeze and temps not really super warm yet. I got out with tools as soon as I tucked away my lunchbag, and got about an hour in of log-cutting before the wind got a bit too brisk and chilled me. But that's more wood cut up for the pile for "if we ever get a woodstove in" haha. I think it could happen this summer if all goes well with finances, and we don't have any major setbacks.

I did have to stop on the way home at the dollar store - I was out of steel wool pads, and need some. I've got a couple of pans soaking from last night's dishwashing that got stuff stuck on them. So when I finished dishes, I just poured the soapy dishwater into the pans and left them to sit. - yeah, I know, dirty, but what the heck, it was soapy so it'll soak the crud off and leave me not having to kill myself for letting stuff get stuck in the first place. Love my stainless, but there are days I would happily kill for a woodstove and properly seasoned cast iron so stuff would just clean right out in man's original invention of "teflon."

But in stopping there, I made a nice discovery. They have a small - very small - selection of seeds at 25c a packet. ALL HEIRLOOMS! Once we are back to full  paychecks next week, I am going to get a small tote to store seed packets in and start hitting up the dollar stores and such and buying them out of heirloom and open-pollinated veggies and flowers. Flowers can always be swapped for something I want or sold. Veggies get KEPT, lol. That is going to start being a nice little score every week once things get straightened out financially, because of all the time Quentin's taken off to fix the van.

I'll be glad, too, when May gets here, because in late May, that stupid garnishment kicks out for at least a couple of weeks, and I can put in for selling my vacation days back and getting the money. I don't really like taking time off work anyhow, never quite know what to do with myself. When I was unemployed for 18 months, that was more "vacation" than I really needed, lol. Even when the kids were little and I worked for Mom for 12 1/2 years, I never took a vacation. Sick days, yes. Vacations, no. But I have plans for the money - my new laptop. This one still works fine, but it needs a good cleaning and to have some of the key contacts regilded so the keys work better. The A and the spacebar are especially troublesome of late. So I want to replace this one and then get this one fixed up a bit, because Quentin wants to learn to use a computer, of all things! He got hooked a little bit when he had to do his app for rehire at the plant on computer, and now he is anxious for me to get a new one for myself and fix this one for him to play with.

But that is my day in a nutshell. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words over time about how you like to read my little missives. It makes it all worth it. Though I do have to agree with something one of my high school buddies said yesterday on Facebook - your life never really seems all that boring until someone asks you, "So, what do you do for fun?" Yeh, when my fun involves cleaning house, gardening, knitting, reading, cutting firewood .... ummm ... yeah. Might be boring but I enjoy the heck out of it!

In the meantime, while the sun finishes setting behind the neighboring ridgeline, I'll find y'all some hopefully still free books!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Coffee Cakes and Pound Cakes (Delicious Recipes) - In my family, company means you make coffee or hot tea, and bring out the "company snacks" - either coffee cake or cookies or something to nosh on while you are chatting and sipping.
Backyard Chickens For Preppers (Survival Prepping For Hard Times)
Polly Dunegan's 20 Amazing Gluten-Free Bread Recipes (Gluten Solution)
Slow Cooker Desserts - As if I REALLY need more reasons to pull out the crockpot!
Grandmother's Natural Medicines: The complete guide by the wisdom of grandmothers
Potato Cookbook: Tantalize Your Taste Buds with Delicious Potato Treats
Raised Bed Gardening System: A book on soil, irrigation, designs and ideas for growing vegetables (Vegetable Gardening)
Household DIY: Turn bar soaps to liquid soap and save money!!! - Personally, I just dump all the bits and bobs into a soap saver and call it done.
Boxed Set 3 Gift Ideas and Gift Baskets
30 Delicious Family Favorite Cake Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes: 50 Quick & Easy Chicken Breasts, Thighs and Wings for Your Crock Pot
Natural Cleaning Solutions:: 37+ Simple, Eco-Friendly Recipes For Everyday Cleaning (100% Safe Ingredients)
21 FAVORITE PALEO PORK RECIPES (Everyday Paleo Recipes)

No comments:

Post a Comment