Tuesday, April 14, 2015

More rain to come today

Which is a good thing. My maters need the watering, and nothing to me beats rain water for the garden, even if the garden is nothing but tomatoes. I hope this weekend to be able to make time to get some more of the Arkansas Travelers going from last year's saved seed. They would not be ready until late summer that way, but it has been a goofy spring so far and I have no greenhouse, nor place to put one right now. But no complaints, because even if I have to get things going late or buy starts, at least I can still grow a few things here.

On other things, like the webstore, everything is progressing nicely as well. Not as quickly as I would like, but even a little progress is so good to have. I keep reminding myself that one of these days, things will be going well and I will not have to worry about going to the plant, and etc., because I do not want to let myself get bogged down in how much there is to do, and instead prefer to concentrate on what has been accomplished. That is much more fun. Writing daily, even for just a few moments, accomplishes so much. The little book I am working on for doing surveys for cash is about half done, with a little work done every day. I know my writing and crafting and gardening stuff will never make me financially rich. I will happily settle for "able to pay any bills that come up with a bit left over." I do not need to be rich. Heck, I do not even buy lottery tickets!!! I just want to be comfortable, and I do not think that is too much to ask.

Some of you have asked how I got the entrepreneurial bug. I blame my Mom. She went into business for herself just after I got out of high school, and recently retired. She did well for herself for around 25 years, making enough to pay bills, buy her house, a couple of cars, do some remodeling on the house, and just generally get herself completely out of debt. If she can do it, so can I. I am not that much older than she was when she went into business for herself, for some of the same reasons I am working on this myself. I am content with my job most days, but having to put out so much effort for someone else is not all that much fun. If I have to work that hard, might as well be for myself!

For Mom, it was also she was tired of the promises she had heard for years from her boss, along the lines of "Someday, this will all be yours." A failing business lodged in the basement of his house? No thanks. Mom may not have had many clients to start with, and times were tough, but she did really well over time. I worked for and with her for well over a decade, and it was so much fun most of the time. I do admit that I encouraged her to found her own accounting firm. She was mentioning one day how, again, her boss was doing the someday thing, and I said something to the effect of, "You know he is never going to sell you that business. EVER. Why not open your own firm and be your own boss? You keep saying how you hate those stairs into that basement and the dark and damp and all. Tell the clients you are leaving, that you are starting your own firm, and leave. You do most of the work anyhow. Why not take all the credit AND the money?" A few weeks later, she did it. Made the break.

I know for me, when the time comes that I can make the break, it will be scary at first. Heck, it is scary now! But you have to make choices in life as to whether or not to stay with the corporate job, and keep on the way things are going, or to take the bull by the horns, start your own business, and go for it. With my webstore, I have loads of ideas of things to carry (you should see the listing of businesses I am contacting so I can buy stuff wholesale), and with my writing, which will also sell in the webstore, I have a huge list of ideas for small ebooks to write and sell. Then there's the patterns I wrote up years ago, that need typing up, and which can also become needlework kits to sell as well as just the patterns, and various bric-a-brac and garden decor... That store is going to be full of all kinds of goodies. I need to scoot, my friends, as I am making myself anxious to get more goodies up, even if right now, they are just crafted goodies! Hugs and love, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment