Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

I won't say Happy with that, because this isn't a day of happiness. It's a day to remember all those who fell in service, to preserve our freedoms and way of life. I could very easily sit here today and whine about the issues I'm having today with a sore throat, or how I had to go weedwhack the yard in the muggy heat, or how I can't work on the bailer bucket until I get a new set of homeowner's tools from Wally World because hubby has "borrowed" a lot of them and not put them back. I could very, very easily sit here, and write, and whine and cry about it, and pull a personal pity party out of my hat and talk about that for several paragraphs. But this is not the day or the time.

Instead, I'll crow about how I checked stuff and my sole ornamental gourd that's popped up has it's first true leaves, how my arkansas traveler tomatoes are bursting with blooms, how I got the little military/tool box bottom setup by the stairs yesterday (and filled with humanure and topsoil and planted with sweet pea, snapdragon, and marigold seeds), and how exactly ONE cucumer has sprouted but hasn't pulled free of it's seed coating yet. Mythree little lettuces haven't got true leaves yet, and the rest of the squashes haven't pulled out of their seed coatings, but that's GOT to be coming, right? That's the extent of this year's garden right now, lol. Thank goodness our summers are long here, so there's plenty of time to grow stuff.

And even more instead of whining, I'm going to ask everyone to thank at least one veteran today. Just shake their hand and say, "I want to thank you for your service." Salute, if you like, instead. But thank them. It's their service that gave you your freedom to be able to call them rude names (anybody old enough to remember the Vietnam vets being called "baby killers" when they came back?), wear your pants around your knees, and other things that don't make your country a better place. Be grateful for them, darned grateful, and thank them. I know if I didn't, my granddad would make his way here from the afterlife and kick my butt.

I have had family in every branch of the US Services, except the Coast Guard (which all the service members in my family like to call "shallow water sailors"). I've had my granddad in the Navy in WWII as a ship's cook, a cousin in the Navy stationed in Sicily (where his first two kids were born on base), my stepgrandad was in the Army, my mom's brother was in the Army, a step-uncle was in the Air Force, and hubby was in the Marines. I've got a military family and bless every last one of them and their brothers and sisters in uniform. So today, please remember what the day is really about here in the US. Thank a servicemember. Or two, or three, or every one you meet. Don't just think it's about what to drink and what to toss on the grill and who you really want over for a get-together. If you want to have folks over, invite a few servicemembers. Thank them. Feed them. Spend time with them and make friends with them.

Our grill's going ... we have six friends and their spouses coming over who were in service in Iraq and Afghanistan. THAT'S our kind of cookout on a day like this. Potluck side dishes, I'm making cheddar brats, mashed potatoes, stuffing and a ton of green beans. Grilling the brats and the other things I'll make in the kitchen. Gonna be a few gallons of water getting used, lol. (I'll make the menfolk go refill water jugs before dark, haha.)

So, please excuse me, I'm off to start whipping up the tater salad, too. Forgot to mention we are having that also. Gotta put those taters on to cook while I eat something and find y'all some books.

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Greenhouse Gardening: Quick and Easy Guide: Master the Basics of Becoming a Greenhouse Gardener!
Homesteading: Your Guide to Self Sustainability, Growing Food, and Getting Off the Grid (Homesteading Basics - An Essential Guide to Creating Your Own Homestead for Sustainability and Self Reliance)
Start Your Own Organic Garden This Year - And Feed Your Family Some Produce From Mother Nature
The Herb Garden (The Herb Books)
Boxed Set 1 Natural Health
Boxed Set 4 How To Make Natural Skin Care Products (How To Make Natural Skin Care Products Series)
Soap Making For Beginners - How To Make Amazing Natural Handmade Soap (FREE BONUS INCLUDED) (Soap Making, How To Make Soap, Soap Making Books)
Survival Pantry: The Beginners Guide To Food Storage, Canning, Preserving And Surviving (The Prepper's Guide To Food Storage, Water Storage, Canning And Preserving)
Newsboy Hat Crochet Pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment