Sunday, May 18, 2014

What a day

Yesterday was not fun. When we got to work, we were supposed to only be there for 4-5 hours. Then it got extended to a full shift. Before we'd worked an hour, it was up to a minimum of ten hours. Considering Quentin had already put in 45 hours over the week, and me close to 40 over four days, without consulting the other, we made the same decision. We bailed at break. We both took a half-point and LEFT. Notified our supervisors and took off, because there was no way we were going to get out of there and spend our one day off doing nothing but hustling to do two days stuff in one day. It didn't make many people happy (and one of our buddies texted to let us know when they got done - 4AM - that's  ELEVEN HOURS, folks! We don't need the money THAT badly!), but we were at a point of going screw it. We left and went to Wal-Mart for necessities, came home and got stuff put away. All we did today was laundry and drive by a couple of houses in the area to see if they were in good shape.

We really do like it here, but we want to buy, and if we can find something at least 2 acres and in our price range, with owner finance available, we are snapping it up. It may end up being a fixer-upper, but it can't be any worse than dealing with all the trash here, and I may have an open area for a garden a lot easier, too. Now THAT would be nice for me. A small shed for a workshop for Quentin would be nice, too. Not having to clean up a bunch of outside trash also would be nice, though we'd likely negotiate to still come up here to cut firewood. And pick up all the scrap metal we can get our hands on, there is a LOT of it buried around here in the trees. If it cools off a tiny bit after I get my shower, and doesn't start to pour buckets, I may be able to get out with my grabber and a garbage bag to pick up a bunch of the loose tin cans off the ground to take and sell for scrap. Hahaha. That would be nice, yes?

I will hopefully be getting to Home Depot in the next day or so before work to get the rest of the parts for the bailer bucket. It's been a crazy week, very tired most of the time, so no interest in doing anything. I guess I'm lucky I got the bills paid from our checks and we got groceries and such. It's just been that kind of a week. Still nothing sprouting, which means I may have to either replant (I did find my craft sticks for plant markers and my sharpie for writing), or splurge on that little popup greenhouse from Home Depot for $30 to get them more warmth, if they are not doing anything by next weekend. Mostly, I'm just not looking forward to going in to work tomorrow on a short weekend. I love my job, but for some reason, I'm getting to where I don't like going in at all, and would rather be here doing things that need doing or crafting or whatever.

The website design is going well, though a couple of javascripts I want to have going, for various advertising banners, the WYSIWYG editor does not display. I need a webpage for that and it just isn't happening yet. I think maybe this week or next week, I will get the domain and hosting going and start uploading what pages I have. I had to get new batteries for my digicam yesterday because the ones I've had for about 3-4 years are starting to get old - corroding a bit and not holding a charge as well - and I have a bunch of things I have made up in the way of baby stuff that needs photographing so they can go up in the farm's webstore and on Etsy, Bonanza, eBay, etc. Basically anywhere I have a chance at selling them.

My dilemma now is that with it being warmer weather, and I haven't had a chance to get to the local homesteader's swap meet yet, is where to vend on Saturdays. The swap meet is only $5 but I don't know what traffic is like to it and past it. There is an open air flea market on the way into Harrison, so it's on the main drag, but it's $20 a week to set up there. I'm dithering between alternating or what. The Harrison farmers market is also a possibility, but I can't seem to get in touch with the person who runs it to find out rules and fees. This is not fun, folks! I'm also working on my next mini-book. I have it typed out but I have to do a lot of formatting yet and it's going to probably be around 50 pages when it's done. I hope to have it done by next weekend, but I am not holding my breath. The good thing about most of my upcoming mini-books is that I have all the notes for them, I just need to do a lot of typing and formatting to get them done and ready for sale. That is exhausting in and of itself, but I keep slogging, because I know that sooner or later, all this work I am doing on the website and writing and crafting and all will turn into a real business and be a living income for me. But for now, it's time for books. Enjoy!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Patio Planters: & Vertical Gardening - Designs & Wood Working Plans Volume 2 (Patio Planters: & Vertical Gardening - Designs & Wood Working Plans)
Learn How to Crochet Quick And Easy
Backyard Chickens: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide To Raising Chickens, Selecting Chicken Coops, And Excellent Chicken Care, Giving You A Natural, Round-The-Clock Egg Factory
Natural Green Cleaning: Eco-Friendly Recipes to Clean Your Home Naturally
Create Captivating Water Gardens in Containers: Step by Step Guide to Enjoying Water Gardens on a Small Scale (The Weekend Gardener)
Aquaponics for Beginners - A Step by Step Guide to Aquaponic Gardening in Your Own Backyard
Food Dehydration For Beginners, Drying Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs, Jerky, Seeds, Nuts
How to Maintain Your Home - 201 Great Home Maintenance Tips And Ideas
(2 Book Bundle) "Beginners Guide To Knitting Scarves" & "How To Knit Socks For Beginners" (Knitting For Beginners)
Your Organic Square Foot Garden: Starter Plan For Organic Square Foot Gardening (beginners gardening, vegetable gardening, vertical garden, urban farming, ... gardening, beginners how to garden, organic)

No comments:

Post a Comment