Sunday, July 13, 2014

HOT HOT HOT

It's so miserably hot right now, the trailer is about 90F according to the thermometer in the living room. We did our running, came home, and poor Bouncer was panting, despite all the fans going, the windows open for any breeze, and the ones that normally have loads of sun coming in covered to keep the sun heat out. Bouncer doesn't handle the heat well ever since that spider bite, so as soon as everything was in the house, which was when I noticed him panting, Quentin took him outside for a little while to cool him off. Poor baby. He really doesn't do well - loses weight despite a high protein diet, and once it hits 85 and up, he's hot. We end up taking him outside in the shade frequently, as well as drowning him in a dishpan of water. Thank goodness we do keep the auto waterer full, so there's always plenty of room temp water for the boys to drink to stay hydrated. Smudge handles it better, despite being a big cat of around 15 pounds, and a lot heavier furred. He just drinks a lot, pees a lot, and curls up in the bathroom behind the toilet.

Though the day went well, it was long and hard. We had to get sawdust for the toity (nearly out, not a good thing when you have a composting toilet, to run out of the coverage stuff!), laundry, and groceries. I could really kill Quentin on the groceries, honestly. In this kind of heat, he still insists on getting groceries FIRST. So I am on to peanut butter and jelly all the rest of the warm weather, because I am not risking lunchmeat that's been sitting for nearly three hours in the heat till we get home. Heck, my ice cream became soup because of that. No way am I risking eating anything perishable right now, the way he wants to get the food first. Perishables are liable to be perished by the time they get home. Ice cream will refreeze, but I will not risk meat. No freaking way.

I did skip the new laptop today. The van needed a tire more than I need a new computer, and I can make this last for another week. Our checks this week were a bit short due to my being ill, so in order to get the tire and make sure we get through the week, I'm passing for a few more days. I did find one I really like for $230, and so next week is going to get that. I think despite it being a 15" HP, Wal-Mart is selling them off cheap because they are getting new ones in. I don't mind an "older" model. It fits the budget and will last a good long time, especially since I don't have to go hauling it around to McDonald's all the time now. This one, Quentin wants to learn to use until it dies, and I think I can then take the hard drive from it and swap into the other, older netbook I've got sitting around and he'll still have a computer to mess around on to look up "car stuff," as he calls it, until it dies. (The Windows in the other one has lost some of it's boot files, and I don't feel like paying someone to fix it, because I'm cheap that way.) But we both will get some overtime next payday, and surprisingly enough, I'll have close to 44 hours despite going home early Wednesday night. Yeah, we worked THAT much. No wonder I am whipped.

There's not much I can eat in the way of fast food anymore, but Subway is one of the rare ones (Arbys and Pizza Hut being the other two), and ours in Alpena today was having a three-year anniversary party of buy one sub, get one free same size. They had "Subman" there with balloons for the kiddies. We stopped there on the way home and boy were they busy. We're in there often enough because of it being one of the only fast food places I can eat at, so as "regulars," they kind of know what we want when we walk in the door. They were trying to get rid of the free stuff, so I ended up walking out with a haul. Two sandwiches. My drink, which I had to get in order to get the free sandwich. A keychain. A yoyo (me joking I didn't need another one, I married one). A can cooler. A balloon. Two cookies. Good grief.

And I have Christmas presents started some more. I do need to go online and get a few more things of embroidery thread. Mom loves butterflies, and I found a stamped cross stitch lap quilt top with butterflies and vines on it at Wal-Mart today, and got what I could of the thread for it then. Some I will have to order, but I am started a bit on it. I will have to also get batting and backing, and put it all together, but once it's done, I think Mom will love it. And there's loads of time to get it done, because I don't do presents for everybody I know. Close family and that's it. Even friends don't get stuff, other than a card, lol. Ok, so I'm lame that way. I just don't see the point in going overboard with gift giving that time of year for everybody I know.

I'm going to have to spend some time tomorrow hauling up water and caring for what I have. My radishes are starting to really leaf out, though one of the Watermelon radishes seems to have a bad case of leaf miners. Oh well - it's ONE radish, and I'm not going to give a crap today about it. I won't be finding books tonight, sorry to say - I'm just too pooped and it's midnight now by the time I get everything done and eat and get a bit of rest from the heat. Hugs, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment