Monday, July 14, 2014

Not too sure about this

I'm starting to figure this thing out, but it's going to be complicated for a bit. It happens, but it's not going to be all that fun for a while, lol. Some things are just not going to be easy to get used to, like the keyboard being further back, and the function keys having other things going on with them, so I have to hold the FN key and then use the function key. It does have a numeric keypad though, which I like, I just have to get used to some things. At least I got it all set up, barring a couple minor things I need to move over yet. Basically, it's up and rolling. One thing that helped a lot is that I use Chrome for my browser, so all my settings sync through my Google account. Thus, when I first started it up, I immediately installed Chrome, and told it to sync. About ten minutes later, poof! There were all my bookmarks and passwords and everything, instead of saving everything and it taking two or three hours to move it all.

Work can now progress apace on things that were going slow because the netbook was getting old and slow and really needed a good hard drive scrubbing to speed it up, which I'm generally too lazy to do. With me, by the time a computer gets to that point, I've pretty well worn it out anyhow, so why bother for a little extra time on it. And on that one, with the power socket going kablooey, in short order, I would have still had to replace it. It doesn't make the whole process yesterday with the fridge and computer any easier to take financially, but I'll get around to accepting it eventually. I do not like that this new computer doesn't have a slot for a SIM card like the netbook. I can deal with no DVD drive, as I haven't had one in three years with the other one. But I do like my SIM card slot for photos. I'm going to have to look into USB plugins for the SIM card at least, and possibly for DVDs just for fun. I mean, what if I want to watch a movie on this thing?

It's thundering, so I don't have to get outside for anything today, but I do need to finish getting laundry put up and get myself off to work today. I did dishes last night once it cooled off, but then had a bit of a panic attack for no reason, and it kind of freaked me out. I really am going to have to concentrate hard on my crafting and writing to make money so I can quit the plant eventually (hopefully I can last till spring so we can get a mortgage through the plant credit union), because I can't work effectively when I'm wigging out like that. It's an easy job, but it's a bit difficult to concentrate on flipping chicken boobs when you're mind wants to scream at you, and you just plain don't have the time to stop and breathe till you're calm. And hey, they graded the mountain road finally!!! About darn time, it's only been gullied and cratered for about two months now.

One thing that is nice about the new computer is being able to use my desk again. The netbook was old enough that it got so hot, sitting in bed with it was the only option no matter the weather. During cold weather, it was so I could stay warmer. During hot weather like now, it was so the cooling fan could be under it and the pedestal fan that blows on the bed could blow on it as well to keep it from overheating. This one doesnn't have those issues, so it's kind of weird not to prop myself up with pillows! But now I need to get busy finding books, doing the couple of chores that need doing and getting ready for work. If there's time, I'll get some writing done - I have a really short book on some jams, jellies and condiments I'm working on and need to get some more reformatting and spelling/grammar corrections taken care of so it can go up for sale on the Kindle platform along with the others. (Yeah, I do like writing ... it's been a hobby for years, stems from all the reading I do. Trust me, there isn't a heavy reader out there that doesn't dream of being an author. I make it HAPPEN.)

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Permaculture Chicken: Pasture Basics
Urban Gardening: The Urban Farmer Handbook - How to Grow Beautiful Fruits, Vegetables, and Plants in Any Space (Garden Design - Learn to Grow a Garden ... Small Yard, Roof Tops, Balcony, and more)
Organic Square Foot Gardening: The Beginner's Guide to Growing More in Less Space (Organic Gardening Beginners Planting Guides)
Managing Goat Nutrition What You Need To Know A Simple Guide (Goat Knowledge)

No comments:

Post a Comment