Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Quiet today

It was a good day yesterday, in that nothing was messed up at work, it went fairly quickly and easily and we got out at 230AM. Add in that one of our probies was on her last day of probation yesterday, and is now a full-fledged team member, it was pretty darn decent. There were a lot of gaps in the birds, though. The heat we've had is just stressing the birds out on the trucks so bad, that even misting them when the trucks pull in isn't helping as much as it ordinarily would. The birds are just too stressed and are dying on the trucks, so we can't use them except for pet food. USDA regulations prevent it.

The weather has also killed off what's left of the garden. The beans and corn are struggling to make it, and I'm doing what I can with them, but the tomatoes are so heat-stressed that, like the chickens at work, they're dying off. LOTS of brown leaves despite watering regular and plenty. My squashes all died. I have one teeny Large Cherry Tomato trying to make it in the coleman cooler planter, along with a few radishes. but I don't know if it will survive to blossom and fruit. Guess I just buy up seeds and things and save it all up for when I do have a piece of land to call my own that's cleared so I can put a big garden in like I want. Oh well ... I gave it a good shot anyhow, and it was fun. Seems like everybody's gardens around here went to pot. The farmer's market in Harrison sent out a call recently for everybody to bring tomatoes if they had any to spare, because people were looking for them and not finding them. Anyhow, I'm sleepy and really need to wake up so I can get together for work and get something on the way in - probably Subway because it sounds good today and they have some reasonably healthy options for fast food. Hugs, all!

(Not too many books today, but then again, yesterday, there were a BUNCH!)

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment