Sunday, January 25, 2015

Working on the webstore

And boy is it work. I've got about half of the categories figured out, and one wholesaler already for a lot of cross-stitch type stuff lined up, but there are still a ton of other places to contact for books and kits and yarn and needles and hooks and ... WHEW. But at least even if I haven't got everybody lined up once I can get the store up and running (fairly soon, I hope), I can at the very least get up things from this one and from others who will work with me. This is a good thing, and I must say that I am thrilled to be getting to a place where I can get this ball rolling for the darned thing so I can hopefully start working my way away from a J.O.B. and into a fun way to make a living. Seriously, can you imagine anything more wonderful than making a living doing what you are most passionate about? Nope, I can't either. Much as I love reading, a bookstore is a no-go for me, as I'd never be able to let go of them. Needlearts, however, I love to share with others, as evidenced by the photos over the last few years, when I remember to take them, of all the things I've made or am working on. The goal is to have that webstore up and running possibly by this summer, and maybe eventually to have a retail shop. There are a couple of fabric shops, but I won't be competing with them in that respect (they can have the fabric sales, I'll settle for selling the books and magazines). There's one small yarn shop in Harrison and one small craft shop/flea market in Green Forest. That and Wally World is my competition in this area for retail. I seriously think the area needs a little not-quite-off-the-beaten-path needelarts shop that does stiching get-togethers and classes and whatnot along with all the fun of going in to browse and shop.

As to stuff I'm working on, I did get a couple more strips started for the afghan when my fingers got tired of quilting on Mom's lap quilt, which is cranking right along lately, so that's all to the good. Pretty soon, I can get busy on other things! I also remembered to hunt through the cheapy bin at Wally World yesterday so that I can take pictures with my phone and transfer them to the computer more easily. I also discovered that StraightTalk, which is what I use, has a super cheap smart phone for about $30 that will take the Square card reader. So once I can do some craft shows as well, as long as I have the reader and a stylus, folks can use their debit/credit cards to buy stuff and sign the screen on my phone, and poof. I get paid, they get stuff, and we are all happy campers. Slowly but surely, things are really starting to come together!

Also, important kitty news ... as I write this, Tink is having her kittens. One fluffy jellybean so far, dark grey or black with lots of white. I'm going to be making some serious calls soon to find a vet locally who will band Bouncer to neuter him instead of cutting, with his sensitivity to things. I do not need more kittens, even if they will have the instinct to be good mousers.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment