Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A nice day at last

Though it's liable to be the only one this week. So whilst I write and such over breakfast, I'm enjoying the breeze through the windows, and then once hubby is gone to work, I will hie myself to the out of doors and get some tire beds set up. This will be a Good Thing, because, as I mentioned in comments on yesterday's post on the Facebook page, the weather has not been cooperating of late for this.

Thus, I have pretty much nothing ready to go, and I need to get stuff done. Otherwise, my poor seedlings are likely to go poof! and die on me. I have to worry about a couple of tomato seedlings right now that are getting a bit leggy. After reseeding the flats, I've got them back out, sans humidity domes. I hate the idea of playing "dump out the excess water every time it rains" but until I get some more beds set up so I can get the current seedlings with true leaves pricked out and moved to a permanent spot that will drain well on it's own, I'm a bit screwed on that. Hopefully, with the extremely warm weather now, the new reseeding will simply pop. Likely to be on the safe side, I'll also pop in more seeds as I can into the beds directly, as my buddy Ann suggested, too. I hate reseeding, but I have to do something if I'm to get any kind of a garden going this year. Much will be sold if it grows, but some will be just kept for direct eating.

The way this year's gone so far, it's not likely I'll get a dehydrator built, and this place just doesn't have the oomph to run even a small one, so it's going to be eat it fresh or sell it. Especially the okra I planted the other day to replace some of the yellow pear tomatoes that didn't come up. Hubby hates okra, and I'm not overfond of it, but many locals love it, and I know a couple people that will buy all I can grow. Partly, I'm thrilled that things ARE growing for me, partly I'm upset that so much has had to be reseeded, and partly I'm jealous as heck that others in my planting zone are already enjoying the bounty from their gardens. *sniff sniff*

Add in with the garden that there's a lot of writing to do, and crafting to do, whew. I'm awful busy. Add work on top of that with the hours we've been running, and it's a wonder I have time to get anything done. Speaking of work ...

If anybody is within an hour of a Tyson's plant. and needs a job, PLEASE feel free to apply for hiring in (at least at my plant, we are really shorthanded and could use the extra labor). It's not a great job, goodness knows. It's cold, and messy and sometimes gross. It's not overly difficult. I'd never worked in production before I started at the plant and I've managed to succeed in my job there. We do chicken mostly, but there are plants that do beef or pork as well. The pay is excellent, well above minimum in most cases, so you have a living wage for the area the plant is in. (As an example, I make $11.40 an hour, for doing nothing more than standing around flopping chicken boobs on a conveyor so they are flat and separated on the belt when they go through the x-ray machine.)

Add in paid holidays, paid vacation, insurance that is cheap because of company group rates (I pay around $20 a week for myself and my daughter for medical, dental and vision with the vision buy up so we can get better frames and exams annually), 401K, ESOP, etc., etc., all after just 90 days probation, and you really have trouble beating that for job benefits. I don't know for sure how other plants operate, but mine in Green Forest, you start at $10.50 an hour during probation, you get a 50c an hour raise after your 90 days is up, and if you agree to work second shift (which is where all the overtime is at), you get a 40c an hour shift premium. And that is just for the really easy stuff like I do, which is called Class 1. The cone lines where hubby works, where the wings, breasts and tenderloins are removed from the birds, get $12.50 an hour for first shift, $12.90 for second, for what is called Class 7. It goes up from there. You can make lead in a year, supervisor in two, if you show up and do your job well, and that's what you want to do.

So anyhow, time for a quick book hunt and finishing my breakfast, and then I'm going to get some gardening done while the weather's halfway decent! Hugs, all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Growing Herbs, How To Grow Herbs in Beds, Containers, Pots, Baskets, Window Boxes
What Everybody Ought to Know About Herb Gardening !!! (doctor gardening books collection Book 5)
Vegetable Gardening Tips - Complete Guide On Growing Vegetables
Vegetable Gardening: How to Build a Vegetable Garden
One Block Quilt Pattern Compilation Book ONE (Little Quilt Ladies Quilt Pattern Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment