Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Planting time!

Yeah, more planting. Now that the squash and gourds that have true leaves are finally in their permanent spots (which means I also need to go to Home Depot or Meeks tomorrow for more dirt, haha - because I can't afford to have a couple tons delivered in one shot, but a bit here and there I can do), I can put out more carrots and some mixed radishes and some more lettuce. And there will be beans and corn going out today around the cucurbits as well (fancy talk for squash and edible gourds). But since they won't be up and shading out the ground for a while, it gives me time to get in some short-season stuff real fast.

Mind the lettuce will likely go to bolt quickly unless I pick the whole head early on. I do leaf lettuce so I don't have to worry about bitter inner leaves which I hate, or heads cracking from uneven watering. Radishes and lettuce take about thirty days or so to harvest, and carrots about sixty, so by the time the beans and corn are getting really big, the radishes and carrots will be done and out of the way. It may have been a while since I've had a garden, but I'm having fun trying.

But I need to eat some lunch, find us all some books and get my butt in gear with some gardening fun. Hugs, all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Greenhouse Gardening the Easy Way!: Learn to Greenhouse Garden: What plants grow best, how to use vertical gardening and other methods to create an optimal year round or seasonal greenhouse.
Seed Starting: Beginners Guide To Seed Gardening!
Recipes in a Jar vol. 2: How to Can Vegetables
Raised Bed Gardening Planting Guide - Growing Vegetables The Easy Way (How to build a raised bed and grow vegetables with minimum fuss) (Gardening Techniques)
Herbal Soap Making: Powerful Soaps That Heal, Clean & Nurture The Body! (Simple Homemade Soaps)

No comments:

Post a Comment