Monday, June 16, 2014

Going to be busy today

It's going to be busy today for me. It's not supposed to rain much if at all today, so once hubby is gone off to work, I will be heading myself outside to work on the garden. I noticed yesterday when I came home that quite a few of the vining things like cukes, squashes and such are popping up, so I want to get them shifted to permanent spots ASAP. Today will likely be the ones with true leaves already, along with possibly popping in some corn and beans around them. They'll grow fairly quickly, though  I very much doubt the corn will be "knee high by the 4th of July," in a couple of weeks. For those not in the know, in the US, that's the general standard for whether or not you'll get a good corn harvest, is for your corn to be standing tall to your knees by Independence Day. With as long as this spring has stayed either cold or wet, I'll be happy to get much of anything out of the garden!

Now, as many cukes have popped up this time as have done - the full six - I'm liable to have to get a water bath canner later this year and some pint jars to make me some bread and butter pickles and relish. Marketmore is known for making lots of cukes, so with any luck I'll have a good harvest on that. Heck, I'll take a good harvest of anything at this point!

I tried to do some knitting while at the laundromat yesterday, but my cable needle decided to split apart, so last night required a shopping trip on Amazon. Thank goodness for all I do that gets me gift cards there, because I spent about $60 on a few novels (had to replace a couple that I've literally read to death), got me a set of cable needles, and some jewelry stuff for displaying earrings when I go to shows. So now I'm expecting three packages in the next week or so. I like shopping, lol. Especially when it doesn't cost me anything.

Anyhow, it's time for breakfast (bacon and eggs, yum!) and then getting outside to do things. Must find books, and hope my legs quit itching ... all these darn tick bites that are healing up are really, really itchy!!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


The Naturally Bug-Free Garden: Controlling Pest Insects Without Chemicals (Permaculture Gardener Book 2)
Container Gardening - 2 Book Bundle: Vegetable Container Gardening - Made Easy; Tomato Container Gardening - The Easy Way To Grow Tomatoes In A Small Space
How To Grow Tomatoes, Growing Tomatoes Made Easy
Boxed Set 3 Gift Ideas and Gift Baskets
Vegetable Gardening in Containers: How to Grow Organic Vegetables in a Container Garden
Build a Back Yard Frog Habitat: The Quick and Easy Guide to Build a Small Container Frog Pond in a weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment