Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Sunday off

Quentin has today off after we got done at 4AM again last night (this morning????), and I also have tomorrow off as my birthday holiday. Yesterday wasn't horrible at work but it could have gone a lot better. Lots of people didn't show up, things broke at the start and at the end, but in general, it was just exhaustingly fast-paced, because of having so few people and needing to get everything caught up. It all wasn't too bad, overall, but so tiring. I am still pooped, and this morning, we still had to get up at an early hour to get things done.

Quentin took the laundry and headed off with it, I did a couple small things around here, and then headed off the other direction to get groceries and a pizza for dinner. We finally get home and get it all taken care of, but getting it all in was so fun. It was raining again. Not normal this time of year, this much rain. We're getting so much predicted rain off and on over the next several days that we actually have flash flood warnings posted through tomorrow night.

What I did before I left wasn't much, but it allows me to not worry about one thing and to get something else done indoors. The lack of worry was getting some string tied up to the front stairs and draping down to the sweet peas. They're starting to get tendrils on them, so they have to have some kind of support to grow up so they can eventually help cover the stair rail. It's a bit pitted and corroded, and doesn't look that nice. I want it covered enough to look nicer but not so much that it's unusable. Five or six sweet peas should do the trick, and five of the seeds I put in are growing, so that little problem is solved.

My other problem is that I don't have grow lights, but I had to bring in the seed trays. The seedlings would get drowned if I left them outside without the domes on, but if I leave the domes on any longer with what IS up, I have to worry about damping off. It's a toss up of stick the trays in the front bedroom on the spare desk and turn them a couple times a day for a few days till this storm system passes, so they can go back outside without drowning, or hope that I can keep the excess water dumped off so they don't drown. I'm not worried about the Arkansas Traveler tomatoes, as the one in the big pot drains as do the ones that got moved to the tires. And whoopie! I have about three or four very small tiny green tomatoes growing on there! I'm going to have to save the seeds as they ripen and are used.

Two more books arrived the other day that I ordered from my Amazon gift certificate money, both on market farming. I'm reading bits and pieces where thing apply. For example, it's kind of silly for me to read about wholesaling or selling to restaurants when those are not going to be primary concerns for me. Mine is actually just farmer's markets and homestead swap meets, so market gardening is the key thing I'm working on. They are both good books, and I think I will enjoy having them and learning from them. There is also a trip back to Harrison tomorrow as I need to take care of my driver's license and I want to stop at the Meek's there - they have good topsoil at 4 forty-pound bags for $5. I need to see if that's $5 a bag, or $5 for 4 bags. The sign wasn't totally clear. If it's 4/$5, I'm bringing home about $10 worth of topsoil, lol!

But while the rain has let up some, I need to eat and find some books. Then I think I will take a nap, lol. The last few days have drained my batteries and since I can't do outside what I want to do (set up more beds for the stuff that needs to be moved into beds ASAP), I'll be working on the last of the bailer bucket project tonight, and hopefully getting to use it tomorrow, along with doing some reseeding of the stuff that didn't come up. Hugs, all! (Oh, boy, one of my buddies on a gardening group sent me a link to a guy on YouTube with a ton of good gardening videos. Time to start up the video downloader and save a bunch of stuff to the puter again!)

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


I CAN CAN GROUND MEATS!!: How to safely grind and home can ground meats to stock your food storage pantry with flavorful and nutritious loose ground meats (I Can Can!! Frugal Living Series)
Planning and Preparing Your Winter Garden: Try These Things to Lift Up Your Spirits and Your Garden!
Growing Berries In Your Garden - How To Grow Organic Strawberries: Growing And Preserving: Preserve Strawberries, Canning, Grow Organic, Diabetes Cure, ... Grow Berries Indoor, Grow Strawberries)
Essential Vegetables Box Set (4 Books in 1 Package): Organic Gardening with Tomatoes, Potatoes, Peppers, Eggplants, Broccoli, Cabbage, and More
Growing Flowers in Containers: Successfully Create Extraordinary Hanging Baskets, Window Boxes and Other Flower Garden Containers (The Weekend Gardener)
How To Compost Manure
Candle Making: A Guide Book With More Fun Ideas and Instructions (Crafts & Hobbies)
A Survival Pantry - The Ideal Prepper's Guide To Using Emergency Storage For Survival

No comments:

Post a Comment