Thursday, June 5, 2014

Rainy, rainy

It's pouring buckets this morning, so that's good for the garden. What's not good is I didn't realize it was going to rain THIS much, and with some of the seedlings getting a little big, I took the humidity domes off yesterday when I watered. So of COURSE it pours today. This means I have to get a bit drenched to dump off the extra water and put on the humidity domes again. Oh well. at least things are getting a good raining on!

Work was a bugger, and will be for a while. The small fire evis had Monday has caused that part of the plant to have to run on industrial gennies, which really can't handle the load. Apparently, we blew out two of the three again yesterday, and when the second one blew from overload, not only did we have to call in repairmen from all the way in Springdale (90 minutes away in good traffic, and home to corporate headquarters), but the backlash from the second one going out caused another small fire in a different area, called tub room. That's where all our small tubs and whatnot are washed up every day. So more repairs will be needed that have to be inspected. We've been told to show up as normal every day and if possible, they'll work us, even if it's just for a few hours. First shift is getting the shaft, but at least second isn't. First is mostly having to go apply for temporary unemployment due to lack of work.

Yeah, there's a ton of things to do around here and all, but I'd rather be working at something until the homestead is up and running. I know with a couple acres under production, my personal income would be about $10,000 to $15,000 profit, depending on various conditions like weather, what grew, customer base, etc. But it's a home income that doesn't depend on equipment not failing, since things would be small enough to not use more than hand tools unless I had more than three acres going. I don't see that with just me doing things, but it's possible. Not likely, but possible. Then there's my writing and crafting and such, which just brings in more income. And I am all for more income right now - not only to pay off back bills but to get a downpayment going to buy a place because renting is not fun. It's like the plant right now. It works, but it ain't pretty.

I saw some butterflies the last few days, including several varieties of swallowtail. I picked up some cheap hummingbird feeders at the dollar store last weekend. I need to get those filled and stuck outside, so the hummers and butterflies have a bit of food, and encourage them to come settle round here even more for pollinators. They're not as good as bees, but if I have to, I'll hand pollinate everything. And this weekend has plans for replanting some gourds (seeds saved for future growth and sale, and gourd crafting) and loads more tomatoes and peppers. Not sure I have room to put in too many more vining things than have already sprouted, so those may have to wait till next year for cukes and squash and such that haven't started already. I'd hoped for different, but the way this spring has gone, it's not quite working out. Anyhow, time for a caffeine infusion of my instant cappucino and hunting down some books and things like that. Hugs all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Applique Patterns
Herb Gardening For Beginners: How to Plant an Herb Garden
Container Gardening Made Easy - How to Grow Vegetables, Flowers, Herbs and Even Trees in Containers
Renewable Energy Guide Book: Introduction To Popular Alternative Energy Options For A More Sustainable 'Green' Lifestyle
Growing and Cooking Herbs - A guide for taking herbs from garden to plate
22 Best Natural Green Cleaning Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment