Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summer heat, gardening and blowing coat

The heat is ridiculous again now that the rain has passed. I don't mind too much except when it's mid-afternoon and that's when I get to try to get gardening done. I guess it's a good thing that with my schedule, I can't spend more than an hour or two at it a day during the week, because otherwise the heat would clobber me! Thank you to friend Tina, who reminded me late yesterday that I'm finally getting a garden in of some kind, which I've wanted to do for such a long time here. It may not do much this year, and could be a complete failure, but the upside is that I am making the attempt.

Headed to Meeks this morning to get some of their topsoil but they were out, so I had to go to Home Depot instead and get some of the Miracle Gro. I don't like their stuff as much because of all the salts in it, but it's better than the cheapy alternative HD has, which is Scott's so-called PREMIUM topsoil. That stuff is little better than fine mulch. There isn't a bit of soil of any kind in it. Premium it ain't. Go ahead fellas. Pull the other one, it has got bells on. Four big bags, 2 cubic feet to a bag, and my poor car was loaded. Got it home and Quentin unloaded it for me. Next time, I think I'll get the little bags so I can do it myself, because it isn't worth listening to him grouse about helping carry them up to the house for the little bit of money saved. I can carry the 1 cubic foot bags myself with no problem. Though if I had things like I want, I'd just save up and go have a truckload delivered, lol.

So even if I don't get much done outside today, because I still need to eat some lunch and pack for work (yeah, they scheduled us for today, and I am hoping it's going to be as short as they said it would be), I do plan on at least getting my little lettuces moved into the pot with the one tomato and some of the carrots thinned by pricking them out and using the dibble to replant them in there as well. I am not wasting good Chantenay carrot seedlings when they don't even have any true leaves as yet. If they survive a quick move, that means more carrots for me, right? *big grin*

As for blowing coat, it's the boys. Honestly, they are shedding up a storm. I swept the house the other day and got up enough hair from Smudge that it's a wonder the boy even has any left. I could have made a whole kitten from what I swept up, I think. Bouncer likes the furminator brush, but Smudge doesn't, so petting him brings up a lot of loose coat. I wish he'd let me brush him, but he doesn't like it. Considering he barely tolerates petting most of the time, I'm lucky I can get off as much loose fur as I do! But my lunch just beeped at me and I need to eat real quick and find us all books. Hugs all - see you later!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


How To Grow Herbs
Back Country Crafts Made Easy: 25 Crafts to Warm Your Heart
Slippers - Easy To Make Crochet Pattern

1 comment:

  1. You need red worms and lots of shredded paper bills or whatnot. My last shredder off of craigslist has lasted well over a year and I shred everything I can get my hands on. My worm beds are recycled concrete/red bricks laid out 2 ft apart on top of the ground. Happy worms dont try to run away and mine must be happy as a digging tool to check on them always turns up a mass of worms. Bottom line, they make great dirt for almost no effort on my part.

    ReplyDelete