Thursday, June 12, 2014

I am so tired

Oh my gosh, I'm pooped. Partly it's all the hours we're putting in at work, partly it's all the stuff that I absolutely HAVE to get done around here (so I'm living on caffeine a lot), and mostly it's my husband. I love him to death, really I do, and I don't want to sound like I'm carping, but I cannot go and go on four or five hours sleep a night plus things like energy drinks and Mini-Thins like he can. My heart condition won't let me, never mind that I hate the stuff. (Never works on me for hours past when it should kick in anyhow, my metabolism is funny like that.) If he doesn't learn pretty quick that if I'm not getting up at the same time he does and say, "I'm trying to sleep some more," it means I'm trying to sleep some more, so hush. Do not talk to me, do not sit on the bed and bounce around getting dressed (he has a chair for that which he never, EVER uses because "the bed's more comfy.") I need my sleep. If I  don't get enough, like most people, I can't function - plus it sets off that nasty irregular heartbeat I've got. Sometimes, I wonder why I changed to second shift, and then remind myself it's for the extra money. Besides, as long as I get a little time outside in the garden, stuff gets done, and I can always take a nap and get nothing else done to speak of before I head to work. Take that Mr. Bounce the Bed and Talk When Someone Needs to Sleep!

I did get four more tires dug out, rolled up by the house and set out like I want yesterday. I also found the first ripe wild black raspberries, so I had a snack while outside of a few handfuls of those. Mmmmmm. Today, I'd really like to get compost hauled up and some dirt in on top, though I don't have good dirt. I have really pebbly sandy stuff from the roadside grading ridges, and there's one right at the end of the drive. I won't be putting root veggies in those anyhow. The squash and gourds will be, and for seed-saving purposes, I'll be taping the female flowers shut if I ever get any. That way, I can do what my seed saving book says and tear the ends off, dob them with the male flowers to pollinate, and retape to prevent any incidental pollination from various bugs that help the process. I hate putting them that close together on supports, but with limited space, I don't have a choice. Then tomorrow I can start in on other tire beds till I run out of those, then it's the unconventional stuff like that busted coleman cooler and the drawers and such out of the Merlot for more if needed.

My tomatoes are not growing very tall, which bothers me. I hoped they'd get really big and supply me with a ton of maters, but I'll take what I can get. Maters is maters. I gotta get a lot done the next couple weeks so things can start getting root space and growing. (Plus I want to get a lot of greens and radishes and carrots and short season onions out and growing for possible saving for winter ... or selling preferably for extra cash.) Crap, it just started raining again, so I guess there goes my shot at stuff outdoors today! (And since today was going to be hauling up rocky dirt from those grading piles by the road, it gives me an excuse to go buy more decent topsoil instead ... "Honey, this is faster and easier, I can get the beds filled really fast this way so stuff is in it's permanent spot sooner!") Oh, and more carrots came up - I got them a bit thicker than I'd like so I may have to thin them. Instead of cutting them off, I'm going to try to prick them out and move them before they have true leaves into the pot with the biggest tomato - the one that keeps trying to drown itself, so the carrot seeds there likely got dumped out with all the excess water, lol. It's the only one with no carrots in it, the other three are sprouting a good crop!

Time to hunt down books for me and you ... and then maybe a nap before doing everything else. Hugs, all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Square Foot Gardening - How to Grow Organic Vegetables in Your Garden: Organic Gardening, Squre Foot Gardening, Organic Vegetables, Organic Berries, Own Garden, Canning, Preserving
Growing Herbs: Indoors, in Pots, in the Garden, Herb Recipes And a Medicinal List: Indoors, in Pots, in the Garden, Herb Recipes And a Medicinal List (Vegetable Gardening)
Homesteading Essentials (4): From Garden Plot To Soup Pot! Modern Homesteading & Easy Tasty Soups - 2 Book Bundle
PICKLES AND RELISHES-TWENTY BLUE RIBBON CANNING RECIPES
JAMS AND JELLIES-TWENTY TWO BLUE RIBBON CANNING RECIPES

No comments:

Post a Comment