Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pooped

I didn't sleep well last night, so I doubt much will get done today. Blasted fibro steals your life and your sleep half the time as well, from fighting to sleep through the aches and pains. Work wasn't too bad yesterday, considering we got about six or so hours in, running nothing but totes from Monday's debacle. The full scope was just learned last night by us line weenies. Turns out two of the rooftop transformers over in Eviseration went blooey and nobody realized it right off. All anybody over there knew was that power kept flickering and things kept shutting down. They just kept turning them back on, figuring, hey, it's got to be the overload on the A/C due to all the temps outside.

After an hour or so, power went out completely, so folks headed to the power control room to find out what was going on. No flashback, but lots of smoke, so the fire alarms were set off and the smoke was apparently bad enough when the firemen got there that they had to crawl in to fight the fire for an hour. Total physical damage: two burned out transformers, some wiring scorched/burnt/melted, and one wall of the control room is toast. They've brought in and hooked up a huge industrial generator so we can run - running last night was not fun because we barely had enough oomph to run the equipment, so it was a bit warmer than usual. (I say a bit, bt I wasn't wearing any of my extra layers, so that says something, because I'm never without four shirts on in there, one of them a sweatshirt!)

So life is more or less back to normal in that respect. Around here, I got a full packet of carrots planted around the tomatoes, and I actually have one teensy tomato growing now. I feel special, lol. I actually will have at least ONE tomato. (I hope - now to just pray it doesn't fall off or get blossom-end rot or anything else.) I go out daily and shake them to ensure pollination. Yep, I'm paying attention to the instructions in my seed-saving book. I never did get to Harrison yesterday, but I guess it can wait till this weekend, because I have decided that if things aren't popping this weekend, I'll spend part of it replanting. I have decided that if things haven't sprouted by now as they should have, I'll just replant and see what happens. I still have a few weeks to put in seeds and get them going and get a little bit of a harvest before frost in the fall. Funny to be thinking of that this year in full heat of late spring/early summer.

Off to find me/us some books (which there aren't many), and then maybe a short nap before I head to work. I'm just that pooped. Wish I had the energy to go out and do something, or to sit up and work on the recommended products page for the blog. Ugh. This whole exhaustion thing bites. Hugs, all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Survival Pantry: Definitive Preppers Guide to Food and Water Storage, Canning, and Preservation (Prepper Survival Pantry - Can your own Food, Store Water, and Preserve your Food)
A Beginners Guide to Companion Planting: Companion Gardening with Flowers, Herbs & Vegetables (Simple Living)
Gift Basket Business Guide to Marketing: 7 Easy Lessons To Jump Start Your Sales (Gift Basket Business Guide to Profits Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment