Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Big changes this weekend

Not only is it "spring forward," but it is likely going to be warm enough that Tinkerbell is going to get put back outdoors. I'll make her a shelter over the next couple of weeks, but she's got to go back out. She is terrorizing Smudge to where he is afraid to come out of the window off the kitty shelf, going after him for no reason at all. He was here first, and as sweet as she can be when she wants to be, that is unacceptable behavior. I have literally seen her just go after him. Time for her to go back out so he feels safe again. He was here first, so it's only fair.

The kittens will be six weeks old by then, and they are already drinking water from a bowl and chowing on dry kibble. I filled the bowls this morning, and all five went right for the kibble. Crunch, crunch, crunch. They know how to use the litter box, drink, eat, wash, and so on, so they should be okay without her around. I hate to dump Tink bak out, but if she's going to be a heifer, it's out she goes, with getting spayed in a month or so when I get some vacation time. I will have her ear notched or clipped as well, to show she is a TNR feral. She will still get fed in the morning, but other than that, she will be out and ignored.

Needlework is going along. I have all but a tiny bit done on round one on all of the MAM strips, and Mom's lap quilt is into the edge seaming, with one side done and a second started. I am using my lighted magnifier to help me with that to make tiny whipstitches on the edge. It helped quite a bit with the quilting part, and for the edge seaming, it is helping me make those stitches extremely tiny and neat. My take-along of the baby bibs is helping to keep me busy during down times in the break room at work, though they aren't going overly fast. It is rather difficult to get much done when you have maybe ten minutes to sit and work, unless you get to work far earlier than you need to.

Speaking of work, my supervisor and I are going to have it out if he tries do what he was talking about last night. Despite new procedures to prevent it, there are still a lot of bones getting through to the totes. I am doing everything he is saying he wants done, the way he says he wants it done, to assist in preventing that problem. His solution to bones still showing up, because he "knows" the x-ray machines are "calibrated good?" His solution to the extra bones is to write up the trimmers who are doing that job at the time the tote goes on hold for bones. Now, company policy allows that if you are being accused of something and you know you are not doing that thing, then you can refuse to sign the statement that says you are. If he tries to write me up for missing bones, I will simply refuse to sign it, on the grounds that I am doing what he said to do, the way he said to do it, just like I told him I was last night. That write-up can get shoved where the sun does not shine. If he wants to escalate things from there, he had better be ready to play hardball, because I will bring my A-game. I will not tolerate being punished for doing something that I am not doing. Other than that, work is going well.

So life in late winter on the homestead continues along. The warmer weather is almost here, so I can get outside for a few minutes before work soon and get things done. I am hoping to soon attempt to get some of the seeds I saved from the Arkansas Travelers last year to grow and see what happens with them. It will be interesting again this year, I know! I have to run to get ready for work, but it is so mch fun to watch the kittens. They are playing right now, swatting at each other, biting, and generally roughhousing as young kittens do. It is amazing how just a few short weeks ago, they were blind and deaf and couldn't hardly crawl around at all. Now they play, sit at my feet and look up at me, asking to be picked up for a minute or two. Right now, they think my shoes are the most fascinating kitty toys ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment