Saturday, August 23, 2014

It is HOT

And I mean hot. I had to set up the swamp coolers today. I can take the heat pretty good, 90s don't bother me. But triple digits are rdiculous, and are in the "way to freaking hot for anything you don't have to absolutely deal with" temps. Harrison was between 98 and 106, depending on which outside thermometer you were looking at and whether or not it was on blacktop or close to the ground, or what. Taking the mean, it comes out to about 102 or thereabouts. WAY too hot. Thank goodness for the trees right now, because while most of the time I could cheerfully wish them to perdition for being so close to the house, they are currently helping to keep the trailer shaded. Nothing like living in a metal box in the summer, right? Another reason to have a small wooden cabin, even if it does have a metal roof to allow rainwater collection ... at least the place stays somewhat cooler in this kind of heat over a trailer!

My beans that have bloomed are setting pods like crazy. I'll get a few meals out of those. My white icicle radishes that I've been helping to pollinate (by taking the flower stalks and rubbing the flowers together to aid pollination) have started setting a few seed pods. It will be interesting to see how much seed I get, because I've honestly never, EVER grown radishes before this year, I've always bought them! And surprisingly enough, my Arkansas Traveler beefsteaks are going to have to be watered a LOT again. Even in this heat, and even though I could have sworn they were done producing, they are setting even MORE blooms. MORE MATERS! Yay me! Om nom nom nom. Can't hardly wait the few weeks till they are ready to eat, too.

And despite the heat, we got everything done that had to be done in the way of errands, and while enjoying the A/C at the laundromat, I got a lot of stitching done on Mom's lapghan quilt. The border is about a quarter done. I have a long ways to go on it, but I'm hoping with Labor Day coming up, that I can get quite a bit done on it that day, as well as tomorrow, because Quentin is heading north for the day to meet his brother and sister-in-law in Springfield so he can carpool with them to go see Grandma one more time before she passes. She's doing much better the last couple of days, surprisingly. She's been able to get out of bed with a little help, eat at the dinner table with everybody like she's wanted to for a month now, and even sat out on the front porch to get some fresh air (other than through a window) whilst a cousin came over and mowed the lawn. We know she still isn't long for this world, what with being 95 and all, but she's made a major rally. And that is something to be happy about.

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment