Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Stressed out

It's just that kind of day. Not going to go into details, but suffice it to say, we may have to move off the mountain. We're not being asked to move, let's get that straight up front. It's just that age and such of the trailer are causing issues up here and I just don't want to deal with things like these issues too much longer. Of course, the electrical issues we have currently to deal with wouldn't be so bad if a certain spouse of mine wouldn't have so much stuff plugged in all the time.

For example - the TV/DVD/PS2 setup in the bedroom, which setup is rarely used, must ALWAYS be plugged in and ready to go. He insists on an electric alarm clock instead of a battery-operated one. His stereo, which he rarely uses, must be plugged in all the time as a fancy clock in the living room (never mind he has a watch and his cellphone for that function, he'd rather squint across the room to the clock on the front of the stero). The microwave could be unplugged when not in use, which is about ten minutes a day, tops. And so forth. Sheesh. My laptop is turned off when I'm not home or am sleeping. It takes but a minute to boot up and a minute to shut down. Printer is turned off and unplugged except when in (rare) use. Lights are off during the day or when I am not in the room. He tends to turn on lights and leave them on, even when he's left the room and isn't coming back in for over five minutes.

Now, I do leave a couple things on all the time - the modem and router for the computer, as it takes quite a bit of time for the modem to boot up after power loss. And since the wifi goes through the router ... it makes sense to leave them on. I have a tendency to unplug things as much as I can when they are not in use. No use sucking up phantom power, I figure. So anyhow, it's electrical issues that aren't fixable without rewiring the whole house, and we're not going there on a rental.

Our landlords have one other trailer they are using for storage right now ... we may be able to get into that one for the same price as this one until we can buy a place. Unfortunately, it's right next door to them, and I have a bad feeling we'd be hearing their dogs barking all the time and that we'd be getting friendly visits asking for "help" as well that we don't have time to give. On the upside, it has running water as soon as the water is finished being repaired (it's there, it just needs to have the runs under the house completed, and that's an easy fix), and the water heater is supposed to work, plus paved roads without a crapload of hills all the way to work. It's got possibilities, but as with anything, there are downsides. One big downside is I wouldn't be able to put in a garden, not even in pots (I know the wife would be over "taste-testing" everything, leaving me nothing.) But it would be long-term temporary. I'm torn ... hopefully something will turn around soon, because I'm stressed out from a whole bunch of things. At least some of them, I don't have to worry about for long (his grandmother's impending death - her body is fighting to rally again), and others I don't have to fuss over for around eight months (income taxes ... because while I did them as part of my job for over a decade, I still don't like doing them.) Just the day to day minutiae around here! So, I think I'll go find books and eat something and try to de-stress a little. Hugs, all!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment