Monday, August 18, 2014

Windoze 8 and I have a hate on now

I really like my new laptop. Bigger screen, more hard drive space (more room for ebooks?), faster speed, sound is louder at 100%, etc. However, I now have a gripe. Kindle Metro, which comes with Windoze 8, and I do not get along. Oh, it loads fast, and it's pretty and all, but ...

1 - I cannot find my books by just typing the first letter of the title and having it go straight to that letter in the list of books.
2 - It stores all my books "in the Cloud," rather than on my computer. About all that is stored on my laptop are the pretty cover pictures. I want the books on the computer, so I can convert them to PDF for easy portability from one device to another, without having to have Kindle on everything. Also, it makes printing off recipes or patterns a heck of a lot easier than the limited availability of copy/paste in a Kindle book, as most only let you do so much of that before you can't do any more. PDFs solve that issue.
3 - It will download the book but then it wipes it out once I close out of Kindle Metro. No, no, no, no, no. That is a travesty. That is darn near criminal.

Thank goodness I still had a copy of the install file on the netbook, so it was just a matter of copying that to the flash drive and moving it to the new computer, so I could install it on here. And yes, it works fine. Only problem I have is, errrr, I have over 12,000 ebooks, lol. The ones I want stuff out of are slowly getting converted so I can print stuff.

Otherwise, it's a slow day here at Casa Rauschenberger. I'm still tired, might take a nap later since no garden to deal with much (thank you this year's weather). I have a ton of things to do but I didn't sleep well, and I have to work again today. Gotta keep the paychecks coming in if I ever want to get out of all the back debt (barring my student loans, less than $6,000), and see about a Rural Home Administration home loan, which requires, among other things, that you have a job for at least two years prior to application. Grrr. At that point, I might be able to go through the credit union in Springdale that Tyson's is partnered with, where they give $10,0000 first time homebuyer assistance. It's going to be a wild ride, that's for sure!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment