Friday, August 15, 2014

Slow day today

Especially in the garden, though for what is there, it is bursting with life. The tomatoes are hitting their stride and blushing like crazy, so I picked a bunch today. The large cherry tomato is really trying it's darndest to set some blooms, so you can bet those seeds will be saved. The beans are setting pods, which I'll let go to shell stage so I can save them. The squash all went kaput, which is a pity. Two carrots are struggling, but trying. And the radishes are going gung-ho. The watermelon radishes are so tiny, but trying to grow a bit more before bolting. The white icicles, all two of them, are both at the flower bud stage now, and it will be interesting to see what happens with them. I know, I could have eaten them, but when a 4.5g packet gives you a whopping seven or eight seeds isntead of the 100 or so you were supposed to get, you either get more seeds, or bite the bullet, grow out what you can, and save the seed. Or you give up. I choose to save the seeds on everything this year that I can because if it can make it here at all under such adverse conditions, I can just imagine what some of this stuff will do under much better conditions somewhere else.

The stray and her kitten were waiting for snack time again today. It's great to see them starting to be unafraid, though I know I'll have to scare them some once they are used to me enough that I can put the days snackies into a Hav-A-Hart and catch them. Then I have to dump them into a carrier so they can go to the vet for shots and altering. I think farm cats are great, but I want them altered so they don't end up helping to overpopulate. But I'd like to at least try to get the kitten to be an indoors cat, and hopefully Momma Kitty as well. On a positive note, they are getting used to me. Momma Kitty left me a present on the concrete pad near the bottom of the steps this morning - a dead mole. Clearly, she expects me to eat it. This does not bode well, lol. Good thing the trash has to go out to be burned, as I can hide it in there.

Hugs and love to you all.

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment