Sunday, October 12, 2014

Happy Sunday!

It's the end of one week and the start of another, and I'm glad of the day. Very few chores needed doing on the homestead (laundry from yesterday put away, cat box cleared up, trash out and burned and composting toilet emptied and refreshed), so most of today has been spent working on fun things, like writing and embroidery on Mom's lap quilt. That has me extremely please. Barring a tiny bit of the darkest green for the vines, the darned vinework is done and so it's all butterflies from here on out. Whew.

I have put aside, for the moment, what I'm beginning to call the "antifreeze afghan," as it's the one where all the yarn got soaked by the antifreeze when the heater core went out. Ooops. The fluid part dries eventually, but the stuff to make it anti-freezing doesn't. Once it's as dry as possible (it doesn't dry sticky or anything, but who wants that stuff on an afghan?), I'll make up the squares and assemble them into strips, and wash the strips. I could wash the yarn ahead of time, but it's all in balls anyhow, and I don't know how well it would all wash without unrolling and tangling up, even stuck inside pantyhose to prevent as much of that as possible. Add in that it might end up molding or mildewing if I wash it first and it becomes, "Houston, we have a problem." So it's work with the stuff, wash it and then do final assembly. From what I understand, washing (even just soaking and swishing in a gentle soapy water solution) will clear it all up and make the yarn nice again. But I need to get a lot of other things done, so it will have to wait. As it's all scrap yarn anyhow, and I have a TON of it, if any of it decides to mildew in the meantime and become unusable, I can toss it out without feeling bad. It was leftovers from other projects anyhow.

Next weekend is supposed to be decent weather, so that is when I will do final clearup on the garden, and put it to bed for the winter. How about you guys? Any garden winterizing going on? Or has the weather already turned for you to where you had to do that already?

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment