Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hunger is a great motivator

Especially for the cats. Breakfast this morning for the furballs has been interesting so far. The girls were still hiding under and in the couch. Bouncer was waiting for me to come feed him, and Smudge was curled up on the foot of the bed, a bit scared of the girls and hungry, but not enough to go down to the liviing room and be near enough to them to eat. Bouncer could really care less. I put down the plate and he dove in, chowing down with his usual enthusiasm. The girls ... well, I got nothing out of Raffles for once. She's usually the most vocal about "Where's the food?" Tinkerbell came out after hissing and a growl at me. She's still not completely happy, but they are doing well. They did try to dig their way out through the bottom of the door and got nowhere, so the girls are a bit mad at me. However, after coming back down here, hubby went down towards the kitchen and came back with the announcement that the girls were out and eating. We've decided that if they want out whenever we leave, for the moment, we'll let them and just lure them back in with more food. This way, they'll get used to eating indoors and being indoors, without scaring them too horribly badly. On the other hand, if they keep on hiding in the couch all the time, it makes them all the easier to domesticate without having to worry about luring them in all the time.

There's so many projects ongoing. The lap quilt, which I am wondering about getting it done by Christmas, is coming along nicely, other than seeming to take forever and a day to stitch the top. The "antifreeze afghan" is just sitting until I get the lap quilt done for Mom. There is wood to cut, and the garden to clean up for the winter. Things may slow down some once the weather starts to turn and then does turn, but a homestead is always a busy place. There's never "nothing to do." Even if I take a day off, I can find plenty to do. Heck, even if the weather is too crappy outside to allow for outdoors chores, there's still housework that can be done to get all the really deep cleaning done, and get all the blasted dust bunnies and cobwebs out of the hard-to-reach corners. Someone at work told me at work recently that homesteading must be easy because, my goodness, I have all this free time and fresh air and sunshine. HA! I'd like to see them do all I do in a day and not fall apart at the end of it.

Just my morning stuff alone is enough to tire people out if they aren't used to it! So far, I've stacked some wood in the trailer, fed us, fed the cats, gotten ready for work, done this, and harvested the radish seed pods along with some veggies for a small salad to take with me for part of lunch. Also, doctors hubby's right thumb, because he got a booboo last night here at the house, so of course, now it's all stiff and sore. But he's gotta work with it for three shifts yet, counting tonight, before the weekend. He's really gonna hurt. And that's all not counting the few errands we have to get done on the way to work, plus work, plus coming home to fix and eat dinner, and who knows what else I will find to get done. Easy life? I can only wish. Sometimes, I envy my city-dwelling friends for how little they seem to have to do, and then I look around me at the trees, or up at all the stars I see in the night sky (and a small strip of the Milky Way gleaming faintly), and tell myself, "Nah, I'd be bored and miserable in the city. Never gonna work." Then smile and go back to whatever.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment