Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Not a good week so far

This has been the week from h**l so far. Monday, the truck died on the way to work. We were able to get our mechanic, who is also a friend, to come get us ASAP and haul us home so we could get my car and get to work. Turns out with my car that what hubby thought was the alignment gone out completely was instead a rear tire that had belts separating to where it had a huge bulge in it and it was ready to go boom. We made it to work on time, thank goodness, with the not too great spare on the car. It's a full-sized tire instead of the standard doughnut, but it's a bit low on tread, so we only use it for short distances and periods of time.

Yesterday meant I lost all computer time that I normally use to wake up, because in order to get to work on time, we had to get up and rolling way earlier than normal. We had to pawn a few things to get the money to get a new tire (nearly $100 for the tire, mounting and balancing, yikes!), but that's taken care of. We got through work, which didn't help me out much, as they moved me back to my old spot for most of the night, so I am sore today and have a monster of a headache. But, considering we managed to talk the fellow we are getting the truck from to add the tow and repair back to the contract, as long as we make honking huge payments for a while to get it paid off ASAP.

We are also having to seriously consider a move in closer to work. There's a trailer park not too far from the plant, within walking distance. I'm not fond of the idea of having people that close to me. I'm not a people person. But hubby feels we "have to do something" in case of vehicular problems in the future, and he's "tired of freezing," which wouldn't be a problem if he'd work with me to put in a propane heater instead of putting everything he has leftover after bills into tricking out the truck, and insisting on using electric radiator heaters that aren't that efficient. Yes, we have a bit of conversation about that frequently.

A move would mean a number of things. It would mean no garden next year, because I couldn't trust neighbors not to steal my produce. (No, I'm not really all that trusting of folks in that respect. I've gotten rather hermitish over the last few years, and I like it like that. I'm becoming rather a curmudgeon.) It would be being on the grid for everything, which I don't really like. But it would also mean being able to have a real stove so I could get back into soap and lotion making, and baking, which could be sold online and at farmer's markets and swap meets come springtime (which would also give me a chance to get a good stock going by then on the soaps and lotions), and I could get a good stock of seeds built up for when a place is finally bought. It would mean regular heat and running water and al lthe outlets working. The biggest reason I'm considering okaying the move is because the trailer park is, should worst come to worst, literally walking distance to work, the smoke shop for hubby (he's a pack a day, I'm trying to get him to quit, but so far in 4 1/2 years, no good), and if we use the collapsible cart, walking distance to the laundromat, dollar store, and grocery store for most staples. Not much need to drive anywhere, as other things could be planned for ahead of time and bought online and shipped. So as long as we can scrape up a deposit and all (there are ways to make it really low, apparently), we may end up moving before the end of the year. We shall see.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment