Thursday, September 25, 2014

Happy birthday, Grampa Max

My grandfather would have been 89 today. He passed in 2007. I still miss him so much. He was special to me and to so many others (the church was crowded as all get out for the funeral), and I have many fond, happy memories of him. He served in World War II, fathered four children and adopted nine more, was a pastor (ordained Pilgrim's Holiness, preached Baptist and boy could he preach), and a chef. Grampa Max was just about the best person I knew growing up. I could write so much more about him, but I'm a bit touched for time with having to bum a ride to work with the hubby instead of using my car for a while.

In more positive news, the girls are about to come in the house all by themselves. Tinkerbell is still extremely cautious and won't come past the door all the way in. Raffles, on the other hand, got rather curious this morning and snuck in while I was heading out to feed the girls, and ran around exploring for a few minutes, until she got spooked. I happened to see her when I shut the door, and yelled, "Hey, honey! We have a little visitor!" He asked who it was, and I said, "Raffles came in by herself." He was excited, because he loves her looks and really wants her for "his." He got ahold of her, scared her something fierce, and got himself clawed up pretty good for his efforts. I tried to tell him not to pick her up. But he did get her on the back of the couch, where she crouched, pretty scared. He did pet her for a few mintutes to settle her down, then we let her back out again so she could settle down. He got to feel how soft her fur is, and she is truly soft for a feral kitten. The boys were more curious about her than anything else. It may end up we don't have to trap them, they may end up coming in and staying all by themselves.

The fall garden is doing nicely. The tomatoes are happily putting out the last batch of red globes for my enjoyment, and the rest of the salad stuff I put in is coming up like crazy. So I will have some yummy last-minute-before-cold-weather salads in short order. Hugs, all!

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment