Saturday, September 27, 2014

What a fun evening - NOT

When I got home last night, I did my usual thing of sitting down with supper and planned on reading a bit of one of my ebooks. Didn't happen. Apparently, Windoze crashed while the laptop was hibernating (I let it go to sleep while I'm at work usually) and it did a whole thing of "Hey, ummmm ... I had a problem here and had to restart. Check online later for this thing to find out what happened." Twice it tried to restart and failed. So, I pull the battery and power cord and force a restart and it works fine, but it's time for the monthly Windoze update. Oh joy, a bunch of them, and on installing the third, it hung up for far longer than it seemed it should with no end in sight. So it's back to forced restart, even though that's generally not a smart idea. Then it finished installing, going from 35% to 100% in about five seconds and has been fine since. Sometimes, I think computers are almost not worth the trouble they are, but I'm kind of dependent on this thing for business, so it's suck up and deal.

On the other hand, errands went well today, and I didn't have to spend nearly as much as I thought I would have to, so that was good. Got extras of a couple of the colors I'm using in Mom's lap quilt, because despite what the pattern says, their numbers are NOT enough. The quilt's coming along nicely, too. I've long had  the wording for the butterfly variety names done around the edge, and I'm about half done with all the vines, then I can do all nine of the butterflies. With my new lap stand and the 10" hoop with it, doing the butterflies as one insect rather than bits and pieces will go much faster.

This week, the batting arrived, along with the material I ordered for the backing, and a few pre-quilted kits (two crib blankets and a pair of bibs) to stitch up for sale. The batting is sized fine on one side, but the length is a bit long, meant for a twin-sized quilt, so that will have to be cut down once things are basted. The material for the backing is only a yard long, but it's 108" wide, meant for a very large quilt! For the backing, I'll have to cut two pieces and stitch them together to make a full backing. One piece will be 48" x 36", and the other will be about 14" wide, because I need seam allowances to put the pieces together and to turn under the selvage and stitch the front and back together once I have it basted. Then it's quilt it, and blind stitch on the satin edging ribbon which I still have to get, and it will finally be done. There's a long ways to go on it yet.

The crocheted afghan is going to be waiting a while until I get the lap quilt done, because the quilt is for Christmas for Mom with any luck, and the afghan is for here. I don't really need another afghan here, but I have so much scrap yarn laying around, I might as well do something with it that's pretty and functional at the same time. The nice part about today is, it's only 6PM, and everything barring putting away the still-warm laundry is done. I say still-warm, but realistically, it's still pretty darned hot, and I prefer not to burn my hands while putting it away. I couldn't get at it right away anyhow. Bouncer's decided that warm, clean laundry in the basket is a nice place for a kitty to take a nap, and I really hate to wake him up when he looks so sweet.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment