Monday, September 29, 2014

Progress and repairs

Minor repair job that has to be done soon. A spot on the floor near the front door is a bit soft and hubby needs to put a piece of board over it and screw it down to block us from stepping on the soft spot and going through. It comes of some age on the trailer, and also from prior tenant's having as many as thirty-five (yes, I said THIRTY-FIVE) small dogs, mostly Chihuahua's and Chi-mixes in here at one time, and letting only two of them out at all. So yeah, the place still reeked when we first came up here, because the carpet was permeated with dog pee. Which is why the carpet got all ripped out. The damage to the floors was done, though, so there are some soft spots, and whenever one is found and is deemed of the "walk on that thing too much and you'll go through the floor" variety, it gets a board slapped on top of it. I don't think we'll be here long enough to repair the whole thing, unless we buy the place (not likely at this point), but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

As for progress ... cleaning up around outside is coming along in bits and pieces. The girls are getting so used to me that they are about ready to come in on their own without first being captured. That would make crating them for a trip to the vet's for spaying much easier. They love being stroked and scratched along their backs, and both will now arch up into my hand while I pet them at breakfast. Tinkerbell is still extremely head-shy, but Raffles permits head petting and ear rubs if I'm careful and slow. They don't just sit on the stairs and wait to be called anymore, either. They are always sitting on the deck. Raffles is always by the stairs and Tink is right by the door. Both yell at me to hurry up, they are hungry, Momma! when I come out with the food. Silly kitties. I think once the weather starts to get chillier, and they feel the warmth coming out of the door when it's opened, they'll be happy to come in on their own. Cats do like the warmth, and not only is it kept reasonably warm in here, it's shelter from the wind and weather for them. They can join the boys in relative comfort indoors, with lots of squishy furniture to curl up on.

And Mom's lap quilt top made some major progress yesterday. All the vinework in the middle is finally done, and I'm back to working the outside edge vinework. Six more sections of that, and it's all butterflies from there on out to finish stitching it up. Then there's making up the backing, cutting the batting to size, basting it together, quilting it, sewing the edges, and sewing on the satin ribbon edging. I may see about an inexpensive sewing machine for the quilting and sewing parts, because those would take a lot of hours that I may not have. And I do miss my sewing and other needlework hobbies a great deal. Work is necessary, but it sure takes time from my fun, I'm telling you. Part-time homesteading is a lot less fun than full-time, but it's better than none at all.

So it's back to work today to earn the money to pay off the non-homestead crappy debts and save up for buying a place, and all the other goodies that are going on. Yay me!!!! I get to go play with raw chicken again! Woot, woot!

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment