Sunday, April 6, 2014

Relaxing evening

It was a good day, despite that it was sprinkling a bit much to get outside when I got up, and too chilly and windy to boot. But it left me time to do some indoors stuff like some writing and such, so all to the good.

I spent part of my day treating myself. I went to the theater in Harrison and saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's pretty good, more gritty than the first one, and definitely not for the kiddie crowd. Which leads me to seriously question the intelligence of the parents who brought two little girls, between 8 and 10 years old, to the movie without screening it first online (reviews, trailers, clips). Those little girls were absolutely TRAUMTIZED at the point where Fury's SUV is being shot up and blown up by the bad guys. I knew that part would happen because I'd looked for and watched the clip. These little girls were so freaked out, they were yelling, "I don't like this, I don't want to see this!" The mother was all, "I didn't expect THIS in the movie!" How much you wanna bet that when they took their freaked-out girls out of the theater that they demanded their money back? Or free tickets to a different movie?

I'm sorry but when MY kids were that age, it was all G-rated ONLY for them. They didn't get to see the PG stuff till they were 11 or 12, and definitely had to be 13 for the PG-13 stuff. Barring an exception - if I first either screened the thing or talked to parents of kids who DID take their kids to it and got their impressions. There were very few movies they got to see that weren't strictly G until they were not quite teenagers, or already teenagers. Okay, call me overprotective if you like, but at least my kids never had to be taken out of the theater in tears from something causing them distress.

So then I came home and was going to fill water jugs on the way but it was raining in Alpena, and that meant I was not going to get wet. I'll have to do it on the way home tomorrow so I can have a shower and do dishes. But I did get to watch Once Upon A Time as it aired because Quentin is off to a friend's house to watch Wrestlemania. That's his thing, and they split the cost of the pay-per-view, so he's having fun and giving me a night alone with the boys. It's awful quiet but kind of nice on a Sunday.

I do have to share a giggle rom my daughter. She just turned 21 in January, and while she amazes me often, it's not often that she totally floors me. Since last fall, she's lost a LOT of weight. We're talking going from around 260 to around 180. Yeah, EIGHTY POUNDS. She was talking about it on Facebook the other day and I had to ask how she'd done it. I said something to the effect that her old Mom could stand to lose a few pounds, too, and how the heck did she manage it. Now I have to REALLY dig out my Paleo cookbooks I've got on the Kindle platform, because her answer was, "Seriously? The Paleo diet." She couldn't believe I didn't realize what she'd been doing, but then again, she never specified exactly what it was, just that she'd changed some things to be healthier. I think she was impressed that Mom asked HER for advice instead of her having to ask me!

But now it's time to find books, and relax with some computerized part of the farm work again. I'm trying to find an online "shop" that will work with Facebook so I don't have to have a standalone website. I'm not sure I want to get into that. I'm willing to pay a little bit for something like that but not a small fortune. So far, all the ones I can find either won't do what I want in the free versions or are horrendously expensive for the paid versions that will. I don't think it's too much to ask to do something like an Etsy store, have folks pay with PayPal and have a tab on the farm page that is just for the storefront. Payvment used to do that but they went out of business. Anybody got any ideas for something similar to Payvment but low-cost ($20 a month or less)? Hugs, time to find books!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Paleo Seasons: Winter: Quick and Easy Recipes That Use Powerful & Nutritious Winter Ingredients
Paleo Dessert PLUS and Pizza - Delicious, Quick & Simple Recipes
100 Year Old Recipes You Can Still Make Today: HOMEMADE CANDIES
Kitchen Organization Made Easy: Creative Kitchen Storage and Pantry Storage Solutions
Paleo Chicken Recipes - 30 Delicious Paleo Chicken Recipes (Quick and Easy Paleo Recipes)
The Cornbread Bible: A Recipe Storybook
How to Grow Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplant: Planting and Growing Organic Heirloom Tomatoes, Sweet Bell Peppers, Chili Peppers, and Gourmet Eggplant
Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes: 47 Quick & Easy Gluten-Free Recipes For All Meals
Slow Cooker Comfort Meals: 30 Fix-and-Forget Homecooked Dinner Recipes
Beef Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes: Easy Beef Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes
Paleo Slow Cooker: Delicious Crockpot Recipes For Busy Families. (Paleo Slow Cooker Series)
Paleo Soups And Stews: Gluten Free Soups And Stews For Busy Families. (Simple Paleo Recipe Series)
Vegetarian Value Pack 3 - 200 Vegetarian Recipes - Casseroles, 5 Ingredients or Less, Salads and Side Dish Recipes For Vegetarians (Vegetarian Cookbook and Vegetarian Recipes Collection)
Slow Cookers And Crock Pots : The Ultimate Slow Cookers Cookbook/ Taking Your Favorite Foods and Slow Cooking Them With a Crock Pot To Make,Different, And Delicious Meal
50 "I Can't Believe This is Paleo" Breakfast Recipes
Gluten Free 101: 101 Gluten Free Recipes - Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Gluten-Free Cookbook For All Occasions

No comments:

Post a Comment