Monday, April 28, 2014

Wet and windy

It's a bit too wet from last night's storm, and a bit windy as well, to be able to safely get out and burn trash, even in a burn barrel. If I do any wood cutting later before work, it will have to be small stuff that is still standing in my size, because the big trees Quentin's felled that need limbing up are all up a that bit of slope heading to the bluff behind the house. With all the rocks there, and leaves, even with my hiking shoes, I'm afraid I'd fall with my balance issues. It's hard enough getting around there when it's dry. You darned near have to be half-goat! When it's wet, I say forget it!

But I can get out and do some garden prep work - digging out all the oddball containers around here and getting them up by the house, laying down cardboard under everything to kill the grass, putting down tires for beds. I really would rather just use the bags of topsoil, but considering how much weed whacking has to be done around here to keep the ticks down to a dull roar, I know for a fact the bags would get split open the first time one of us "mowed" the yard. So it's pots, planters, buckets, tires, and whatever else I can find that will hold a plant.

I'll also, over the next few weeks, be building some trellises to lean against the house to support the climbing and vining plants, like beans, peas, cukes, and melons. I'll have more seeds to play with soon, as one of my Facebook groups likes to do seed giveaways on a regular basis, and surprisingly, I won last night! I forget which group, I'll have to ask the lady sending me the seeds so I can post a public woohoo and thanks. I can't wait to see what is in there!

But it's time for books and breakfast and getting outside to get done what I can (with all the rain last night, at least I don't have to water the "garden" such as it is), and then go to work and play with chicken boobs all night. See you guys!!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


Crochet a Pair of Vintage Gloves - Vintage Gloves to Crochet Pattern
Trailersteading: Voluntary Simplicity In A Mobile Home (Modern Simplicity)
100 Easy Camping Recipes
How to Raise Chickens
Container Gardening - A Step by Step Guide For Beginners
Shed Door Rescue Kit: 48"and 60" Shed Door Plans-Build Your Own Doors or Use our Plans to Upgrade Your Existing Doors
Homesteading Essentials (4): From Garden Plot To Soup Pot! Modern Homesteading & Easy Tasty Soups - 2 Book Bundle
Home Bread Making Guide Simplified: Everything You Need To Know About Making Bread At Home Easily!
Container Gardening Made Easy: Beginners Guide to Growing Organic Herbs and Vegetables in Your Indoor Garden
Tried and True Gardening HInts
Crochet Pattern Baby Leg Warmer Set

No comments:

Post a Comment