Sunday, April 27, 2014

Spring rains

And boy, do we need the rain. We're about a foot behind average right now, so the next few days being stormy or possibly stormy will be a big help. That it also means I don't have to get out and water my maters is a help as well. We didn't get the laundry indoors before it rained last night because we kind of forgot about it, but it didn't get that wet, just damp. So Quentin's jeans are hanging up on the shower rod right now to finish drying. We turned on the space heater long enough to fully dry one pair so he has clean, dry jeans for work tomorrow.

Before it started raining, we got going (me on short sleep ... I had trouble getting to sleep last night and then it has been go go go since 10AM) and made a quick run back to Harrison. We needed to return our RedBox movies plus hubby wanted to get some PVC pipe glue and primer to work on the conduit for the internet cable, which putting it into pipe will make it easier to weed whack around it without having to worry about cutting it up. We also stopped by Home Depot for me - more veggie seeds and five more bags of good topsoil. I am seriously considering that since most of the stuff I want to grow doesn't need really deep root systems, other than the carrots, planting directly into the bags ... just cut a small X for the seed to be planted and go from there. Granted, there are a number of oddball things around here I can use for planting in, but if I can avoid buying containers, so much the better.

Oh, what I got today! White Lisbon Bunching onion (I do love me green onions), Super Sweet 100 tomato (hybrid, but I wanted some cherry maters to sell at the farmers market), Maestro pea, Roma tomato, Brandywine Red tomato, California Wonder bell pepper, Carnival Hybrid mix bell pepper (ok, so I like the colors, and again, more to sell), Early Acorn Hybrid squash (more hybrid, but I couldn't find seed locally for the non-hybrid ... do love me my acorn squash), and a couple more packets of Blue Lake 274 green beans, because I do know how hubby likes to eat what the kids used to call "greem beams" when they were really little. Being what Quentin calls a "seed freak," I will likely keep buying up seeds until I can't get anymore for the year, and store them away. Plus with other things I'm doing, getting some off Amazon and from various seed companies to store away ... heh. There is going to be SOME kind of garden here this year, darn it!


Internet is in and out because it's raining so hard, but I'm doing what I can while I can and calling it done. I have a lot of things I need to do that require me to be online, but not all of them can be done in one day. Some of these to-do projects really are long-term things to do, just they get done in bits and pieces till one day, they are complete. The storm is passing for the moment, but we barely got home, got stuff unloaded and got it and us indoors before the floodgates opened. It was enough that power flickered for a moment, too. But it's pretty well over for this round, though it sure is nice to hear that thunder!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST

I CAN CAN BEEF!! How to can beef to save money and time with quick, easy, delicious family recipes (I CAN CAN Frugal Living Series)
Worm Composting: & Composting Ideas for use in Organic Gardening & Growing of Vegetables & Herbs
CONTAINER GARDENING: IDEAS & WOODWORKING PLANS HOW TO PRODUCE MORE ORGANIC VEGETABLES IN LESS SPACE
Tomato Container Gardening: How to Grow Tomatoes in Small Spaces
Fruit Tree Container Growing: Grow Your Own Dwarf Fruit Trees in Containers at Home or even in a Small Apartment (Home Gardening)

1 comment:

  1. One year my sister bought hundreds of seed packets off of eBay. They were being sold because they hadn't sold in a store that year and stores buy new seeds for the next year. I remember she spent something like $15 and had seeds for several years for herself and anyone she could give them away to. So maybe keep a lookout and you could save money for next year. Hope you have a great crop this year.

    ReplyDelete