Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Isn't it spring?

Because it doesn't feel like it's nearly May. Right now, at nearly 11AM, it's only 47F here, and tonight it's supposed to be down in the mid 30sF. Guess that blanket comes out of my car and goes over the maters before I leave in hopes that they survive the chill. They're starting to put out several new leaves, and I would really hate to have them poop out on me just as they are getting to be decent. Unless I can find some old water jugs on the ground somewhere ... then I can cut out the bottoms and stick those over the maters for instant greenhouses. I MAY have a few old half-gallon milk jugs that got rinsed out and saved for that purpose in the tool room closet somewhere. Maybe. Just maybe I'll get lucky. Cross your fingers, lol.

It's just too windy and cold and wet again to get outside. I'll be so glad when the weekend gets here, because it's supposed to be warmer, which will be nice, since we'll be able to get outside and do a lot Sunday. I would say Saturday as well, except that Saturday is errands day because it's usually the first day of the week when we can get out and do a lot at once other than work. Sometimes, this work away from home thing really sucks. It pays well, but I will be so glad to get income here going better so I don't have to. That is our goal, and I work hard at it. I am extremely blessed that Quentin does support me in my goals, even when he laughs at them. As I told several people last night, he laughs that my books-to-write list is incredibly long, but ... eventually they will get written and be producing a nice little income, along with other things that I want to do.

I can hardly wait for this Saturday. The load of scrap metal is going with us so we can empty the trailer and that money will allow us to easily go and do some extra shopping that we normally wouldn't do. In the main, it's exciting because the local Homesteader's Swap Meet is this Saturday (1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month in the warm weather) and there's also a swap meet at the hardware and feed store in Harrison as well. There's a lot to do this weekend, and if the temps come up about ten degrees while I'm home, there's a lot I can get done outside, too. I don't really mind sitting on my butt to make money, but I do so want to be outside doing more, just to get out and do things.

But I did get out yesterday before I left and got a photo for y'all, and I feel good about that. It's not much, but it's a start on oddball improvised planters. Once I can get back to the Merlot, there's a lot of pieces of paneling I can lay down on the grass, shiny side down, to kill it and allow us not to have to weed whack around all the pots and things (plus I won't have to move them in order to clear around them, or spend a load of money on getting pavers underneath everything on top of the stuff), because it's got to be done. So there's a bit of cardboard down and a piece of an old hollow core door down (one panel side) to cover some grass up. What you see in "planters" is the one I got to put the tomatoes in, an old shallow dog dish (a lettuce, maybe?), an old coleman cooler, a housecleaning caddy that has cracks in the bottom (easy drainage, lol), and the bottom of an old military box of some sort.


That last was under the trailer and was a find in and of itself. While it didn't have a lid to begin with, it was heavy when I pulled it out. The one orange bucket with a cracked bottom and no handle got partly filled up with the stuff in it. A bunch of really rusty wrenches and sockets, and even a T-square. All ruined through leaving them outdoors to rust. But there's a good twenty pounds or so of stuff there to add to this weekend's scrap load.

But I need to go find kleenex ... this weather has my sinuses draining, ugh. Thought that was over for the year, but apparently not! Then I need to find books and do some other writing, and once Quentin's off to work, I need to eat and pack my lunch. Then maybe I'll sneak in a quick snooze with the alarm on just in case ... cuz I'm actually still kind of sleepy, and since hubby won't be here to keep on talking to me ... lol. Love him to death, but getting in a nap when he's home becomes a marathon of waking up and dozing off .. .and he wonders why my naps are marathon four-hour sessions when he's home!

KINDLE FREEBIES OF INTEREST


DIY Organic Lotions for Healthy Skin Care: The Gentle and Soothing Treat For Your Skin!
Green is the New Clean - Create Your Own Homemade Natural Cleaning Products to Save Money and Keep Your Home Toxin-Free
Etsy Selling Success: How To Sell On Etsy - Blogging Edition (Etsy Selling, Etsy Business, Etsy Success)
Preppers Pantry: How to Build a Perfect Survival Pantry for Food and Water Storage (Survival Pantry - Your Complete Guide to Stocking Up and Surviving Anything)
A Beginners Guide to Companion Planting: Companion Gardening with Flowers, Herbs & Vegetables (Simple Living)
A Beginners Guide to Organic Vegetable Gardening: Introduction to Composting, Worm Farming, No Dig Raised & Wicking Gardens Plus More... (Simple Living)
What Everybody Ought to Know About Herb Gardening !!! (doctor gardening books collection)
gardening secrets-101 Organic Gardening Tips You Wish You Knew-Grow Faster And Bigger-Discover all my secrets (doctor gardening books collection)
Essential Oils for Novices: How to Use Essential Oils to Rejuvenate Your Skin, Improve Your Hair, and Relax Your Body and Mind
Vegetable Gardening Basics: A Beginners Guide To Growing Organic Vegetables - Including Top Ten Easy Veg To Grow
Etsy Selling Success: How To Sell On Etsy - Pinterest Edition (Etsy Selling, Etsy Business, Etsy Success)
Vegetable Container Gardening: Growing Vegetables In Containers & Planters (Gardening Techniques)
Making Soap From Scratch: From Bar Soaps to Liquid Soaps, You Will Never Run Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment