Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hello, chronic pain

If you have chronic pain, you know what it feels like to wake up from a nice, long, restful sleep, and still feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck. That's this morning. I slept really well but still woke up feeling poorly. I am trying to determine whether or not I will be going in to work. I really want my points down, and just got one back last week, but oh, man, do I ache. Ah well, it's Wednesday, and I might be okay enough to struggle through. I've never been one to take the easy way out, though.

Must be why I homestead despite the struggle. There are all kinds of crappy days, but the getting through them is so worth it. The results end up spectacular. I did move a bit slow getting to the truck yesterday, but it allowed me a chance to look at the garden in winter. It's so BARE. It looks so dead, but I know that in a few short months, it will be bursting with life once again and what looks so awful now will be green and growing. I can hardly wait, because seed catalogs are starting to arrive and in a few weeks, I'll be putting in seed orders a bit at a time from them. I'll also have to get another small tote to put the extras in for storage, because I know I won't get it all done in such a small space. But I want to have plenty of different things on hand for when I do have more space.

Am I worried about germination if I store them for a few years? Yes, some, but I also know that if I store them properly, then sprout them before planting, I'll have much better germination rates even on older seeds. And stuff that will sprout after 5 years packed up is more likely to do well in my climate as well as produce seeds for hardier plants. Goal is to raise up landrace varietals for this area, but have seed available through the internet for others. I will be one of those crazy people keeping old plants and old skills alive through the generations, just because I can.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment