Monday, December 22, 2014

I went shopping

Woops. Me and my Amazon gift cards, lol. Got a couple more crib cover kits to make for sale. Cost me a whopping 52 cents after my gift card balance, which is fine. They'll arrive just a bit after Christmas, to add to the stash of ones I need to work on. Mom's lap quilt is almost ready to be assembled and quilted, and then it's on to things to sell as my "take to work" projects. My at-home project will be that mile-a-minute scrap afghan, which hasn't had anything done on it in ages, but I'm not worried.

Looking into standalone hosting, I'm liable to just go with HostGator as a friend suggested. About $100 a year that way for what I want. GoDaddy quoted me $1200 a year because they wanted to sell me business hosting. Seriously? Ok, so it will be a business site, but it isn't going to chew up bandwidth or anything like oh ... Microsoft? I'm not fond of the overall starter look of OSCommerce shopping cart, either, but it's workable and will allow for customization if I'm willing to dig into the style sheets. HTML classes and programming classes from college come back to haunt me again, lol.

I like Etsy, but I'm not getting any more traffic on it than I would on a standalone site, and things there expire and have to be relisted (at a fee, again) every four months. If something doesn't sell right off, I'd like it to stay listed, ya know? Plus with getting business cards probably early next year, I'd like to be able to put a real website on there instead of the blog. Blogger covers everything for free, yes, but it's not overly professional, and with Etsy as the "farm store," those fees will get expensive as I build up a library of ebooks and crafted items for sale, along with other things, such as the Gifts (Not) in a Jar I like to do. Those are fun, and are great if you have to ship them. I just use ziploc bags instead of jars because there's a lot less chance of breakage in shipment. But it's time to hunt down books real quick and get my butt in gear for work, which is going to be interesting this week. If all goes as rumor has it, we work Monday and Tuesday, off Wednesday and Thursday, and then back Friday and Saturday. Perhaps the same next week, we shall see. On those, I have to wait and see what's being posted at work!

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment