Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Happy birthday, Ian

My son is eighteen today. As I write, he's been "officially" eighteen for about an hour. He's quite the young man, talented, smart, handsome. He has an idea of what he wants to do with his life. He lives with his father and his father's wife in New Mexico, near Albuquerque, and I miss him terribly, but I never forget him. You never do with your kids. One day, I know he'll show up at my doorstep, needing a meal and a place to sleep, and likely a job. I know he'll get fed, likely end up sleeping on the couch, and end up working at the plant. There are worse things in life than a steady job, even if there are days you really would rather not go.

Speaking of work, it was not nearly as long last night. We got out at not quite 2AM, so that was good, because my feet are still killing me. The good thing is that the line that was broken was finally repaired about midnight or so, so things can go back to normal, more or less, because we still have a ton of rework totes to go through now. I kind of lost count at twenty. Work is so exhausting, and I was so tired when we got home, I ate a bit and pretty much went straight to bed without working on the store. Yeah, that is pretty exhausted. I'm still tired. This has got to quit one of these days, because I'm at that age when I need more sleep, and six hours or so a night just doesn't cut it.

Other news, the snow we got is pretty well melted, so late winter/early spring homestead chores can get done. I still have some clearing up on the garden from last year to do, so I can get something in again this year. If nothing else, I have to put in tomatoes, as hubby got hooked on homegrown tomatoes last year, and wants more. I'll have to see what I can do for him, lol. I like homegrown tomatoes, too, so I'll have to dig out my saved seeds from last year and see if I can get any to grow.

And finally, Raffles had her kittens last night. The ones hubby said she wasn't pregnant with. She was busy having them when we got home from work, and I haven't had a chance to sex them. Partly because hubby says you can't sex newborn kittens (you can, if you know what you're looking for), and partly because I don't want to disturb them too much. I did get one sexed before hubby started having a fit over it. Raffles outdid Tinkerbell, having six kittens. SIX! The average for a litter of kittens is three to five, so she beat the average there as well! I know most of them are dark. One is black and white, one is ginger tabby and white, and both of those are male. The other four, I don't know colors or genders other than they are dark.

One looks like it could be a calibby like Raffles and the other three look like possible tortieshells, so it's likely most of Raffles are girls. That gives us FIFTEEN cats and ktitens total. I guarantee most of those kittens are going. Hubby says he doesn't care if they do, and he's keeping the two that look like Bouncer anyhow. Right. He was only going to keep the one from Tink's litter and the rest, "including any Raffles has if she's even pregnant," were all going to get homes elsewhere. Yeah, sure. I know him too well. This place is going to be inundated, not that I mind, but most of them are either getting homes or ending up as semi-feral barn cats. Period. I'm putting my foot down on this one.

Funny part is, Raffles is determiined to not let any kittens out of the nesting box. Kizzy. one of Tink's (the calico female) was out exploring the floor. Raffles grabbed her by the scruff and hauled her back into the box, Kizzy squeaking the whole time. I almost feel sorry for Tink's babies, as they were just starting to explore, and Raffles is so protective, she wants both sets in the box! She did let me pet her last night while she was having the one after we got home, and sniffed my fingers, so with some work, perhaps by the time hers are weaned, she'll be more amenable to attention.

But it's time to start pulling together for work, yay me. Hugs, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment