Tuesday, February 10, 2015

So glad it isn't Monday

Because yesterday at work just about killed me. I was doing great, having a blast, when I got yanked off the line to go reload boobs from overflow totes. Oy vey. Ninety minutes at the end of shift throwing boobs back on the line so they could get to the x-ray machines. Yeah, that's the glamourous life I lead, folks. But overall, it wasn't too bad. Just mostly made my arms tired, from having to reach and toss boobs. Those totes are 45" tall, heavy corrugated cardboard, and hold anywhere from 1500 to 2000 pounds of meat. That is a LOT of boobs, guys. Trust me on this one ... it's a LOT of boobs, especially when you have to load on or help load on upwards of 5 1/2 totes of the things. Figure about 2 pounds a boob, and with the others helping, I tossed on about 25% of all that, average 1750 pounds of meat per tote, so ....

1750 pounds x 5.5 totes = 9625 total pounds of meat, approximately.
9625 pounds of meat x 25% = 2406.25 pounds of meat I tossed back on the line myself.
2406.25 pounds of meat / 2 pounds per boob = 1203 boobs, more or less.

Like I said, a lot of boobs. And since we had to go slow, because the lines were still running, they had to be tossed on the line one at a time. Urgh. No wonder my arms are sore.

By the by, before I forget (again!!!!), thanks to everyone who likes and comments on posts, and PMs me about them, because I get so much joy out of all the lovely things y'all say. I think so highly of all the comments where you guys tell me how much you like what I write about my homesteading attempts and all, or how you'd like to do stuff I'm doing. I receive a lot of comments and PMs about how what I'm doing is so interesting. I even get questions about it all. I am no guru, just someone doing what they can the best they can, and I think it's the struggle that brings it home for everyone. I don't sugarcoat the ups or the downs, and because I'm going through it as I write about it, it makes it more real for folks than just writing it all in a book and telling people, "Do it this way, trust me on this, you'll appreciate not having to learn the hard way like I did." (Now the books I am working on, I do just cut straight to the chase, but that's a book, not a daily blurb on whatever is going through my pointy little head.)

I wonder about y'all sometimes when  I get those comments and PMs, though, and a good chuckle, because I really don't see the interesting part of all this. It's just the life I lead and what I do. When it's what you do every day, you don't really think that cutting wood, hauling water, gardening, needlecraft, housekeeping, raising kittens, and working in a chicken factory are all that interesting. I know, I know. For those that can't do it for some reason, it's pretty neat to see things that are positive and full of things to make you go awwwww. My life isn't perfect, but it's not that bad, either, overall. It's like those of you who just live the city life and enjoy it. I have a friend who is a professional dog-walker in California. She does a lot of traveling to horse races and such, and truthfully, there are days I envy her. Surrounded by (mostly) sunshine and fresh air, no snow (I don't think, anyhow), getting to do a job she loves that lets her travel frequently ... it sounds like a lot of fun and highly interesting as a way of life. But I can guarantee you, to her, it's just what she does every day and there are days I'm sure she doesn't think it's all that interesting.

I think it helps, too, that I do my best not to complain too much. Trust me, I do a lot of rewriting, and I do a lot of griping in person. But I do try to keep it primarily to myself because it's just not a lot of fun to see someone griping about everything. (Work is an exception ... everybody gripes about work, lol.) My only problem yesterday that's really gripe-worthy is that I didn't get any needlework done. I got some stuff done for the (eventual) storefront, but that was it before work, and after work, I was just too pooped. For now, though, I get to call the darned Chevy dealer down in Harrison.

Turns out my little car is part of a recall to fix a dohickey involving the DRL thingamabob under the dashboard. If it's not fixed, it could apparently overheat and cause a fire. Oh, joy. Just what I need, only I can't do anything until I get vacation time again at the end of April, because it's going to take all day and I can't get time off unless I take a point for that. There goes my anniversary holiday and any plans I had for that. Me and my needlework travel bag are going to become GOOD friends that day, I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment