Wednesday, November 5, 2014

It's a good day

We're getting a bit of overtime each night this week, and hopefully, we'll get the whole weekend off instead of working Saturday as had originally been stated. There is also a rumor that we'll get a four-day weekend for Thanksgiving, which would be nice. Granted, we wouldn't get paid for that Friday, but I'll take the extra day off happily. And we're supposed to be getting a 25c an hour raise soon. Unfortunately, our insurance is also supposed to go up $10 a week, so the raise will only cover the insurance hike, but at least that won't be coming out of our pockets in a way that will cost us from what we bring home now. That stupid garnishment is almost done as well, so in a couple more months, I'll get my whole paycheck to myself. That will be a big help and a blessing as well. I'm thinking of trying for the cone lines once my points are down a bit so that I can bid on it, but I'm not sure I could do it. Between tenonitis and arthritis and general age, it would be tough. But at $13+ an hour, it's extremely tempting.

More done on the lap quilt yesterday before work. I finally had to cave a few minutes early and go in the plant because it was raining and with getting dark as well, my natural lighting to work on it easily, so I don't have to hang my lighted magnifier around my neck, was getting shot to crap. I only lost about ten minutes time, though, so not too big a deal. And I got a bit more done on the afghan strips last night once we got home, so that's coming along as well. Life is good. Tiring, boring, but good. Now if I just had the oomph to go out and cut down what's left of the garden, lol! But it's either too chilly or too wet, and I don't like to be out in either.

Hubby and I talked a bit on the way to work yesterday, how if things were better situated, I'd have my stopwatch retired and be waving him off to work while I stayed home and did whatever needed doing like we did when I was off work for 18 months. We both enjoyed that, even as tight as it sometimes got financially, because we were both doing what we enjoyed. Add in that he got to come home every night to a clean house and a hot supper that he didn't have to do anything to other than maybe heat up in the microwave, and life was pretty good. It's why I work now, and what we are working towards. A place we own (well, are buying anyhow), that's affordable on one paycheck, where my online income and farmstead income sources pay enough to make up for the loss of half my paycheck. We figure half because if I don't have to have stuff for work, and my car/vehicle isn't running as often, costs in that respect will drop drastically. I bring home about $300 a week now with the garnishment coming out, and I can guarantee you that at least $100 of that goes to "convenience stuff," because of not having time to cook like I enjoy here at the house and all. That means $150-$200 a week in income from other sources and I'm done with the plant and any outside jobs. I just need to make it happen every single week. That's the kicker right there. But it's slowly happening, so we are happy with that.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment