Tuesday, November 11, 2014

So much to say

After a night at work that was completely Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Charlie Foxtrot, Foxtrot Uniform Bravo Alpha Romeo all the way around, I was so glad to get done and get my butt home to a reasonably warm house. Despite temps that DROPPED from 50F when we got home about 330AM to about 40F now, the house is fairly comfortable. The new digital radiator heater is keeping the other end of the house comfortable. If the house is in good shape temp-wise for at least half an hour, it shuts off automatically. If the house is fluctuating or too cold, it stays on. So surprisingly, it stayed on last night while we were at work, and we came into a comfortable living room.

And I used the military or phonetic alphabet for a reason. Today is Veteran's Day. Do not forgot to thank a vet. Thank all of them you can find. I say often that folks don't understand what they did, the sacrifices they made. Our veterans wrote a blank check to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including the cost of their life if necessary, so we could have our freedom. This in spite of all the name-calling and put-downs they suffer. This so a lot of folks could say horrible things about them.

They will almost all say something like they were just doing their duty, but remember that they didn't all have to choose to do that duty. But they did it anyway. Thank them, shake their hand, give them a salute (even a sloppy one honors them). You may find yourself with a new friend, or find out something surprising about an old one.

As to last night at work being so bad ... well, we only actually worked a four or five hours. The first four hours the chiller was broken, and we literally stood around doing nothing the whole time. NOTHING. The GPM of our side of the plant wanted to send us all home and call it a night, and most of us were making comments to the effect of "Send us home, we'll be reasonably willing to come in and work Saturday instead." We would have, too. Even hubby and I were thinking we'd be happy to work Saturday and get home and away from no work. But nooo, we had to stay. So everybody was mad. Who decided we had to stay? The Assistant Plant Manager for night shift! Oh, they can stay till the chiller's fixed and finish out their night!!! Yeah, that's real nice, lady. Thanks a LOT for the 90 minutes overtime. Money from OT is great ... the getting home at the crack of dawn and having no time to really eat and relax before bed is NOT.

The weather is cold for everybody. Currently, it's barely above freezing here, and only expected to make it to the mid-40Fs for the high today. Lows in the low 20sF. For the next several days, we will be using the car to get to and from work and letting the truck sit, since the heater core doesn't work in it and the car's does. The long work shift last night meant I didn't get anything done on the afghan when we got home, nor extra done on the lap quilt. I did get the third butterfly done, barring a little backstitching, before work yesterday. We'll see how much I can get done today before the car gets too chilly for me to sit out there in a comfy seat and work, lol. I really want to get that lap quilt done, but it's so chilly, and hubby insists on getting to work early so he can socialize (which I don't mind - he has to have friends, too), but on cold days, it does make for a bit of a chill to stitch! Wish I could take it indoors and not only safely stitch and be warm, but I'm not allowed to take it in as I might stab someone with the embroidery shears, after all! I'd try to sneak it in, but I don't think it would fit in my lunchbag, plus I'd have to deal with all the snarky commentary from others who aren't as well-rounded as I am in their interests and hobbies (preferring to mindlessly stare at the boob tube), or folks who want to talk about it with me while I'm trying to concentrate, or who want to look at it (and get grubby hands on it), or who want to "help" with it, or who will risk spilling food and drink all over it while "admiring" it. No thanks, I'll just freeze. It's safer for the lap quilt since it is eventually going to be a gift. I'd like it to be nice when she gets it!

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment